Patrick Cambria

Calcutta Conquest level wind issue?

16 posts in this topic

I just got the reel today (400) and didn't have much time to mess with it but I noticed the level wind only works when you crank the handle but not in free spool. In other words when you engage the clutch to cast the level wind stays in it's last position. This seems like something is wrong. If the level winder is on either extreme side and you cast, then the line is basically being pulled across the spool.

I won't have time to play with it or reply to comments until tomorrow but does anyone have one that can let me know if this is normal or not. I owned four old school  Calcutta four 4 Calcutta B and the level winder always follows the line when you cast.

Normal. Has a disengaging levelwind unlike like the other ones you mentioned. But it also has a much narrower spool than past versions.

yep,thats the way it is,lexas are the same way,,I like to center the lw before I cast,makes for a smoother cast.

HH

Sounds to me like they cut some corners in the engineering department. Major design flaw. Especially in a 500+ dollar reel. I still haven't had time to look at the reel since I got it but I have a feeling I'm going to hate it.

16 hours ago, Patrick Cambria said:

Sounds to me like they cut some corners in the engineering department. Major design flaw. Especially in a 500+ dollar reel. I still haven't had time to look at the reel since I got it but I have a feeling I'm going to hate it.

braid is slippery so,you won't have any probs with the line crossing the spool.

it is more noticeable with mono but still no problem.

my 2 very old corsair-300a's and my Cardiff 300a are made that way,,not much room inside for the extra parts [maybe] and spool width come into play as well.

it will do what they say it will do.

HH

Unless the level wind is in sync with the spool, e.g. abu level wind, it's not going to matter. Chances are the line guide is going in the opposite direction when the line is going out. Stationary or not, it doesn't matter, just law of average.

34 mins ago, hobobob said:

Unless the level wind is in sync with the spool, e.g. abu level wind, it's not going to matter. Chances are the line guide is going in the opposite direction when the line is going out. Stationary or not, it doesn't matter, just law of average.

I don't know what you are saying but the original Calcutta and the Calcutta B reels the level winder is always in sync with the spool. The only 2 ways it can possibly get out of sync on those reels is when the line comes out of the level winder when you cut your line. I'm always careful to position it when I re thread it rhe one or 2 times that may happen per year. 

The other way is if you remove the reel from the gearing and let out some line then mesh the gears again without getting it back in sync. Again very rare. 

Now I have to deal with it possibly getting out of sync each time I cast and then it will level wind over the now out of sync line on the spool. Do this over and over again and there really is no point in having a level winder at all because it will be layers and layers of cluster f....

It might not make sense the way I'm wording it but it's just a stupid design.

What I am saying is when you make a cast with your new conquest, does the level wind move left and right to be in sync with the line angle. If it does not, then the whole point of sync level wind while the the drag going out is moot. Why? Every time you make a cast, the line is in a different position in relation to the level wind.

I never once mentioned anything about drag? I was talking about casting, free spool, clutch engaged the whole time. 

I just wanted to know if it was a broken reel or normal behavior. That was answered so I'm closing this thread.

10 mins ago, Patrick Cambria said:

I never once mentioned anything about drag? I was talking about casting, free spool, clutch engaged the whole time. 

I just wanted to know if it was a broken reel or normal behavior. That was answered so I'm closing this thread.

Please do not lock your own threads.  

Thanks!

12 mins ago, Patrick Cambria said:

Non diesengaging levelwinds more often than not will limit casting distance more than a fixed levelwind.  Mainly because in order to move the levelwind.  The spool has to turn an idler that then turns the worm gear...which the pawl then runs in....... pretty significant resistance is then added.  As a result some aftermarket ball bearing idler and levelwind kits and ceramic pawls have become available for certain reels.

Hobobob was mentioned drag because some reels don't have non disengaging levelwinds for casting.  But do for when the drag is being paid out.

Additionally one of the nicer things about the latest large capacity low profile reels.  Is the fact the levelwind line guide is much further out.  So there is the benefit of not having any sharp angle interaction of the line coming off the spool.  The lexa 400 being the furthest away out of all of them.

Fair enough scoob but the thread was specifically to determine if the reel was malfunctioning and it was answered. I was not looking to debate casting distances of level winders. I unlocked the thread but I don't wish to be notified about the debate so any replied will be ignored on my end. Thanks

3 hours ago, Patrick Cambria said:

Fair enough scoob but the thread was specifically to determine if the reel was malfunctioning and it was answered. I was not looking to debate casting distances of level winders. I unlocked the thread but I don't wish to be notified about the debate so any replied will be ignored on my end. Thanks

Eat a snickers...