evan1

winter pollock fishing

17 posts in this topic

Anyone have info on fishing for Pollock in the winter? Still a decent population? I'm thinking specifically in Bar Harbor or other coastal areas in the Bangor region. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

No hard data, but I'm pretty confident if you toss some small tins into the water by any rocky shore or from a dock, you should find some harbor pollock, along with herring.

Now you've got me intrigued, might give it a shot this winter from the local lobster docks...

Edited by Roccus7

haha, i'm desperate to bend a rod. Been going crazy since striper season ended. 45 min from umaine to get some ocean action would be nice. 

You may find some pollock, but I think the many ice fishing opportunities around there are probably a much better bet starting in a week or two if the current forecast holds. 

36 mins ago, TwoLightsKid said:

You may find some pollock, but I think the many ice fishing opportunities around there are probably a much better bet starting in a week or two if the current forecast holds. 

thanks. I'm not really interested in ice fishing tho tbh 

There's a couple of harbours in southern Maine.  Public access and everything.  I've pulled out some tiny harbour pollock well into December in years past.  They are on the very bottom, and I do mean, the very bottom.  Haven't gone in about 5 years, but no reason to believe they've disappeared.

'Course if you want to splurge and get the giants, Eastman's is running until the end of December...

42 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

There's a couple of harbours in southern Maine.  Public access and everything.  I've pulled out some tiny harbour pollock well into December in years past.  They are on the very bottom, and I do mean, the very bottom.  Haven't gone in about 5 years, but no reason to believe they've disappeared.

'Course if you want to splurge and get the giants, Eastman's is running until the end of December...

thanks. I read an article online where some guy was catching harbor pollock in bar harbor in the middle of december and implied it was an active thing through january. the article was a few years old though and thats why I was asking. 

Although I'm down in MA,  I can attest to December pollock (Gloucester as well as the Cape Cod Canal). I usually use a small metal clipped to the bottom of a sabiki rig that I snip down to one or two flies (not interested in using the full 5-6 hook rig)

I fly fished for Pollack last Winter Jan, Feb. Caught plenty and not difficult. Little clousers on sinking line,I was casting off of rocks into about twenty or thirty feet of water. Go give it a shot.

9 hours ago, slayer20 said:

I fly fished for Pollack last Winter Jan, Feb. Caught plenty and not difficult. Little clousers on sinking line,I was casting off of rocks into about twenty or thirty feet of water. Go give it a shot.

where abouts?