Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capequahog

Outside Lamp Post

7 posts in this topic

will only work with old style bulbs in the socket, what type of socket for the new ones do I need, assuming this is the problem

Presume A19 bulb which should fit fine.  I would try prying up the tab in the center of the socket first.   

Also, if on a dimmer you may have to swap it out for one compatible for that led.  Should also check that led bulb you are using is good for enclosed fixture and damp location.  Neither of those should prevent lighting up but good practice as they aren’t all the same

17 mins ago, JimW said:

Presume A19 bulb which should fit fine.  I would try prying up the tab in the center of the socket first.   

Also, if on a dimmer you may have to swap it out for one compatible for that led.  Should also check that led bulb you are using is good for enclosed fixture and damp location.  Neither of those should prevent lighting up but good practice as they aren’t all the same

the prying up of the tab, this solved the problem, the LED, has a wider insulator than the old style at the bottom there which was probably the cause, and yes that old socket has been in there forever

thanks JimW

Good, glad it was that simple.  I am skeptical of some of the cheap led bulbs.  Has one I just put in yesterday shatter all on it's own overnight, wasn't even on.

On 12/3/2017 at 0:38 PM, JimW said:

Good, glad it was that simple.  I am skeptical of some of the cheap led bulbs.  Has one I just put in yesterday shatter all on it's own overnight, wasn't even on.

My wife came downstairs a few weeks ago and found broken glass in the sink. She thought she must had dropped a glass the night before. A few days ago I went to change the led above the sink and found the litter glass missing. Now I know where the glass came from. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen

On 12/4/2017 at 10:31 PM, i07nyc said:

My wife came downstairs a few weeks ago and found broken glass in the sink. She thought she must had dropped a glass the night before. A few days ago I went to change the led above the sink and found the litter glass missing. Now I know where the glass came from. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen

Had a second one pop apart.  This is a gooseneck clamp on and this time I was next to it.   Glass sheared off a hair above the base, bounced off my desk and I caught it intact.  Light was still on and functioning just fine, glass globe in mind hand.  

Not good