Drew C.

Mass to end commercial bass fishing?

239 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Taking away the commercial fishing of red fish and snook was a different story. The sheer amount of species in souther water that one can also focus on in loo of those two species vastly outnumbers up north. You take away bass fishing from the commercial fleet and there goes one of the hand full of fish that can be successfully and profitably fished for without using trawlers which are a whole other issue. Comm guys have a set quota for bass each year. Even if the bass is poached by a rec guy and given to a comm guy it is included in that quota. If rec guys are burying fish in sand at the canal or stashing em away at night, that has a much larger bio impact than fish that have already been accounted for before lines ever entered the water.

Edited by jmarino1432

26 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

Taking away the commercial fishing of red fish and snook was a different story. The sheer amount of species in souther water that one can also focus on in loo of those two species vastly outnumbers up north. You take away bass fishing from the commercial fleet and there goes one of the hand full of fish that can be successfully and profitably fished for without using trawlers which are a whole other issue. Comm guys have a set quota for bass each year. Even if the bass is poached by a rec guy and given to a comm guy it is included in that quota. If rec guys are burying fish in sand at the canal or stashing em away at night, that has a much larger bio impact than fish that have already been accounted for before lines ever entered the water.

It might of been a different story because the commercial anglers had other options, but it shows what would happen to the individual species by giving them gamefish status. So the question is are you trying to save a industry or a species

Posted (edited)

But the fish can indeed thrive without the industry

Gamefidh status has some very good success stories, does commercial fishing have any?

Edited by Dave T.

This may sound ridiculously, but what happens if we ban stripers from fish markets and restaurants (except for Chilean).

Will this kill comm and poaching with one stone?

Rec can't resale legally, right ?

Correct me if im wrong here but didn’t commercial fishing for bass exist in the 90s when the stock rebounded considerably. Upping the rec size limit seemed to do the trick then. The quotas are pre set for comm. the issue lies at the hands of a lot of greedy rec guys who just can’t let a 25” Fish swim away

6 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

Correct me if im wrong here but didn’t commercial fishing for bass exist in the 90s when the stock rebounded considerably. Upping the rec size limit seemed to do the trick then. The quotas are pre set for comm. the issue lies at the hands of a lot of greedy rec guys who just can’t let a 25” Fish swim away

Do yourself a favor and research commercial striped bass fishing during the moratorium, you may be surprised with what you find 

15 mins ago, Dave T. said:

Do yourself a favor and research commercial striped bass fishing during the moratorium, you may be surprised with what you find 

I am. Should’ve checked into that harder than I did before I posted. Kind of squashed my argument with one post. Appreciate keepin me on my toes

Put an upper limit on fish....say 36" or 40".... 

Leave the big breeders alone.  We need to stop killing them.

You people do realize that the most influential factor in all problems on planet earth are people, correct? Humans are responsible for almost every issue on planet earth................  

I speak the truth for the sake of speaking the truth. If you people want to bury your heads in the sand, go for it. You can hate on me all you want, I could care less. You can point the finger at this person or that person. Inevitably, most resources on earth will be depleted. That's because human nature is to be self-motivated. If you want to save the earth, fight humanity. 

The truth is that nothing will ever change until we hit absolute chaos. 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, The Rev said:

you make no sense! commercial guys are not the issue..They do it legally and not for nothing, a black market will exist with or without stripers being legal or illegal...I have friends who are commercial guys and they go by the book more than the normal guy..I see sooooooo many rec guys keeping shorts and stashing fish in bushes late night around shore lines where no one sees them....get you facts straight before you point fingers

Facts are facts and the Comm guys are a problem, even just the Bycatch can be astronomical, not to say that there aren't bad Rec guys out there too, but anytime you put a price tag on anything it's going to be an issue.....

Edited by stripedbassking

DrewC- Your argument that a "handful " of commercial guys has more access to the resource than the sports doesn't hold water. As I stated before, in NY the group of commercial fishermen that are able to harvest bass , around 325, got 210 tags last year while the sports got 244 fish for the season. Any resident of NY can take a bass per day from April 15 through December 15, that's MILLIONS of potential anglers. Theoretically the entire biomass many times over is available for sport harvest. The age old pissing match between the folks who play with fish for entertainment and those who help feed the nation it pointless, we all need a healthy resource.

51 mins ago, pakalolo said:

DrewC- Your argument that a "handful " of commercial guys has more access to the resource than the sports doesn't hold water. As I stated before, in NY the group of commercial fishermen that are able to harvest bass , around 325, got 210 tags last year while the sports got 244 fish for the season. Any resident of NY can take a bass per day from April 15 through December 15, that's MILLIONS of potential anglers. Theoretically the entire biomass many times over is available for sport harvest. The age old pissing match between the folks who play with fish for entertainment and those who help feed the nation it pointless, we all need a healthy resource.

ah, now we are feeding the nation with delicious and healthy striped bass?

or are we providing a luxury item to the rare few that can afford it? not to mention, bass have consumption advisories up in every state that limit how much one is supposed to eat. 

some creatures are for sport, it's well established. you want venison - go hunt it yourself, you want moose - go hunt it yourself. there's no reason we can't have the same with bass.

proving my point that gamefish status is nothing more than a resource grab by the sports, the sector that already has the lions' share. Care to address the numbers?