Drew C.

Mass to end commercial bass fishing?

239 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, Mircopolo said:

If you quote the pounds of fish pulled from water then yes 1/3 maybe 1/4.

You don’t ask for rec to comms ratio, right?

 

rec to comm or comm to rec, whatever................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, ThunnusBlue said:

*

 

Maybe we should just ban all fishing period. Rec, commercial, catch and release. Would that make you guys happy? 

Politically correct or not, you are out of line.

 

Maybe we should ban everybody from posting on forum, so we don't have to close eye and pretend there is no problem?

Edited by TimS
Political crap removed from quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, ThunnusBlue said:

*

 

Maybe we should just ban all fishing period. Rec, commercial, catch and release. Would that make you guys happy? 

 

I don't know what website you're looking at, but I'm seeing pictures of dead fish all over the place.

 

I don't see many people complaining about keeping legal fish.  It's the poaching that most are complaining about.

Edited by TimS
Political crap removed from quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Really, I see never ending, repetitive griping and finger pointing. Commercial fishing is immoral. Ban this, ban that.

 

*

 

The truth is no one knows how much the rec sector keeps. How could they know? 

 

 

Edited by TimS
Please figure out how to leave the personal and political crap out of your posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another point worth mentioning and then I have things to do with the rest of my day. 

 

It's just as logical to ban recreational fishing and to allow commercial. You may think that could never happen but look at what they did with cod fish. Rec limit up north is zero. They even had a zero limit on haddock in October. There was nothing to fish for this year in October. Commercial draggers can still catch cod as by catch and the limits on haddock are for an inch less. 

 

The gripers should be careful, maybe you'll get your ban but it will be the other way around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the Comm get banned, would be excellent!! The less Nets in the ocean the better.... as for hook and line Comm, they just have 10 of their friends spread out and have one license and hide fish and poach, if there's money involved bad things will happen.... the root of all evil $$$$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in New York, commercial fishermen with a history of catching bass going back to 1989(?) were allowed to harvest  bass and provided with tags to be affixed on each bass when harvested. 2017 saw the number reduced to 210. The sports are allowed to harvest a bass per day from April 15 through December 15 for a total allotment of 244. There are approximately 325 bass tag holders, the sport sector is not accurately quantified but any NY resident can take part in the fishery , as can out of state residents. The commercial harvest is a drop in the bucket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are too many fish being taken by everyone, period! Pointing the finger of blame at this point is after the fact.

Everyone needs to do catch and release, for now. The rec guys took 4 million lbs? C'mon guys, that's being greedy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, stripedbassking said:

Hope the Comm get banned, would be excellent!! The less Nets in the ocean the better.... as for hook and line Comm, they just have 10 of their friends spread out and have one license and hide fish and poach, if there's money involved bad things will happen.... the root of all evil $$$$$

The nets point is valid. As for the hook and line I think you are way off. If you think one guy is gonna get a license and then try and deal with the head ache of giving each person their $75 for their fish, I think you're crazy. It's not worth the gas to do that or the time/chance of being caught. I also believe there is more abuse and misuse of the resource by recreational fisherman than comm guys but hey thats just me

Edited by jmarino1432

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

The nets point is valid. As for the hook and line I think you are way off. If you think one guy is gonna get a license and then try and deal with the head ache of giving each person their $75 for their fish, I think you're crazy. It's not worth the gas to do that or the time/chance of being caught. I also believe there is more abuse and misuse of the resource by recreational fisherman than comm guys but hey thats just me

There were guys at the canal taking multiple 40lb fish to bring to their Comm buddies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

There were guys at the canal taking multiple 40lb fish to bring to their Comm buddies

The sheer number of poached fish outta the canal this year from both rec and comm fisherman was ungodly. In a three day period it drove the price of the fish from 5.75/lb to 3.50 (the lowest i saw all year). The canal this year has to be considered an exception not the norm. With that being said, bringing multiple fish to a comm guy is as much the fault of the rec guy fishing for them as it is for the comm guy accepting it. The rec guy is 1. Well over his limit and 2. Selling a fish that is legally only for individual use and not for sale. If there is more enforcement on the canal as a whole, it wouldn't be an issue. Im also not sure why they only make comm guys cut a pec fin off a commercial fish caught outside of a commercial day. Why not make rec guys remove a fin to make it easier to police?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmarino1432 said:

The sheer number of poached fish outta the canal this year from both rec and comm fisherman was ungodly. In a three day period it drove the price of the fish from 5.75/lb to 3.50 (the lowest i saw all year). The canal this year has to be considered an exception not the norm. With that being said, bringing multiple fish to a comm guy is as much the fault of the rec guy fishing for them as it is for the comm guy accepting it. The rec guy is 1. Well over his limit and 2. Selling a fish that is legally only for individual use and not for sale. If there is more enforcement on the canal as a whole, it wouldn't be an issue. Im also not sure why they only make comm guys cut a pec fin off a commercial fish caught outside of a commercial day. Why not make rec guys remove a fin to make it easier to police?

Your right the Rec guy is a true fault in that situation as well, but if there was no Comm season on them then that Rec guy wouldn't be taking those fish to sell. And I agree trying to police the canal is going to be something to think about going forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would shut it to f   k down for ten years, then make stripers a gamefish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The call for gamefish status is nothing more than greedy sports parroting the Stripers Forever RESOURCE GRAB mantra. They want all the fish for themselves to play with at the expense of hard working fishermen and those who rely on them to provide their access to the resource.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.