Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Double_D

I'm Tapping Out for 2017

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Been on the Perch for a few months fishing day trips and backpacking trips I think today was my last trip for the year, really nice up north fished in shorts and barefoot  

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Edited by Double_D

Been at it hard, I like to fish alone have the beach to myself and to do that I have to backpack in, those trips take a toll on my body. I'll hit it again in January locally. 

Never say quit, just change species with the seasons. Salmon are petering out, so now pick up the road to chrome and will start fishing for steelhead.

My fishing year looks something like this; Jan-Steelhead, Feb-Really my only Doldrums month (Anyone got a Feb species for me, I am all ears?), Mar-American Shad runs, April-Trout opens, May-Aug-Surf Striper & Everything in-between Freshwater fishing, Rockfish, Ocean Salmon, etc., Sept-Oct- River Salmon & if lucky last striper for the year, Freshwater Striper hot bite, Nov-Sturgeon (when I can usually Duck Hunting) Dec-Steelhead again (When not Duck Hunting stupid Wed, Sat, Sun only B.S.). Full circle, constant fishing seasons, no towel to throw in!  

6 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Never say quit, just change species with the seasons. Salmon are petering out, so now pick up the road to chrome and will start fishing for steelhead.

My fishing year looks something like this; Jan-Steelhead, Feb-Really my only Doldrums month (Anyone got a Feb species for me, I am all ears?), Mar-American Shad runs, April-Trout opens, May-Aug-Surf Striper & Everything in-between Freshwater fishing, Rockfish, Ocean Salmon, etc., Sept-Oct- River Salmon & if lucky last striper for the year, Freshwater Striper hot bite, Nov-Sturgeon (when I can usually Duck Hunting) Dec-Steelhead again (When not Duck Hunting stupid Wed, Sat, Sun only B.S.). Full circle, constant fishing seasons, no towel to throw in!  

Been there done all of that except the hunting part,  I've done the work all day drive from Walnut Creek to the American or  Feather River for the evening Shad bite, or get up early be at Goethe Park before the sun comes up to swing beads for river rotters. these days I like to fish alone and the places I like to fish you need to backpack into, its good for me to take a break because I'll get burned out.

Understood DD. We all slowly trim back with age. I sure don't go as hard at it as I did 10 years ago and if I tried to keep up with my self 20 years ago while in college I would die for sure. Can also understand taking the extra hike to be in a secluded place. My wife is always astonished when I fish all day by myself, don't you get lonely out there? Not really, thought hardly crosses my mind, even cooler when you fight a great fish and finally get it to hand and then look around to only realize this fish is for you and only you, before you let it back into the water... 

One must remember that DD's  idea of back packing into a place is parking in the lot at Manresa, donning his backpack full of chow, a 5 gallon bucket  & sand crab rake then casually strolling down to the closest lifeguard tower where he'll set up camp.  :laugh:

On 12/7/2017 at 7:14 PM, Mike Fixter said:

One must remember that DD's  idea of back packing into a place is parking in the lot at Manresa, donning his backpack full of chow, a 5 gallon bucket  & sand crab rake then casually strolling down to the closest lifeguard tower where he'll set up camp.  :laugh:

Lol ..... Those lifeguard towers provided warmth and comfort for 4 tired and cold surf fishermen one night  ..... it was ghostfish_slayer and Paladin that were caught spooning a fire ring that windy foggy cold night.

Edited by Double_D

On 12/7/2017 at 7:01 PM, Linesideslayer said:

Understood DD. We all slowly trim back with age. I sure don't go as hard at it as I did 10 years ago and if I tried to keep up with my self 20 years ago while in college I would die for sure. Can also understand taking the extra hike to be in a secluded place. My wife is always astonished when I fish all day by myself, don't you get lonely out there? Not really, thought hardly crosses my mind, even cooler when you fight a great fish and finally get it to hand and then look around to only realize this fish is for you and only you, before you let it back into the water... 

I just turned 60 don't have the endurance for those 12 + hour fishing days ... Lol