Drew C.

Tacoma frame issue

90 posts in this topic

From what I understand, the newer Tacomas do not have that problem. So.. .Riddler no need to trade your truck for that reason.

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

From what I understand, the newer Tacomas do not have that problem. So.. .Riddler no need to trade your truck for that reason.

back in 2010 they weren't supposed to have the issue going forward but here i am again....

my next truck was ging to be a toyota - slam dunk. right now i'd say it's 50/50. the truck has been fine otherwise, as was my last one. toyota took care of the issue last time (i assume they will here too) but it's certainly a factor for the next truck.

Posted (edited)

Just had frame replaced on my 2006 Tacoma  w/ 112 k. Took 8 weeks . Rental  /frame completly covered . Made fall tough fishing not having a truck tho . Make sure it's done  during the off season! 

Edited by kiko401k

9 hours ago, kiko401k said:

Just had frame replaced on my 2006 Tacoma  w/ 112 k. Took 8 weeks . Rental  /frame completly covered . Made fall tough fishing not having a truck tho . Make sure it's done  during the off season! 

did you get hit for any additional items - shocks, etc, anything out of pocket? 

i still haven't heard back from them about the claim being approved, they said it was basically a formality due to the damage and would take a few weeks. at this point i don't want any out of pocket expenses for a truck that i'm probably not keeping much longer. for right now, i'm kind of handcuffed. i can't look at another manufacturer because i can't realistically trade this truck in. i'm sure i could work something with toyota but i might not go that way for the next one.

8 mins ago, Drew C. said:

did you get hit for any additional items - shocks, etc, anything out of pocket? 

i still haven't heard back from them about the claim being approved, they said it was basically a formality due to the damage and would take a few weeks. at this point i don't want any out of pocket expenses for a truck that i'm probably not keeping much longer. for right now, i'm kind of handcuffed. i can't look at another manufacturer because i can't realistically trade this truck in. i'm sure i could work something with toyota but i might not go that way for the next one.

I didn't need anything additional work done so Zero dollars spent . Completely covered . If you need any additional work they will let you know . Your choice if you want anything done or not. If additional work is done I was told it would be done at cheaper rate then they typically charge .   If you like I can show you a picture of what was covered later today when I get home from work . 

4 hours ago, kiko401k said:

I didn't need anything additional work done so Zero dollars spent . Completely covered . If you need any additional work they will let you know . Your choice if you want anything done or not. If additional work is done I was told it would be done at cheaper rate then they typically charge .   If you like I can show you a picture of what was covered later today when I get home from work . 

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been thru this before unfortunately. I will just make sure that I ask questions up front and know what I’m up against. 

9 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been thru this before unfortunately. I will just make sure that I ask questions up front and know what I’m up against. 

Good luck. 

1-  I would tell the dealer if they didnt put a crap frame on the truck you wouldn't be looking at replacing any parts that don't come apart . Like shocks, body mounts ,brake lines etc 

Im sure there are supplements that cover that but the dealer is trying to get the customer to pay parts . Like you said stealership . What if a bolt breaks are you suppose to pay for that ?

2- Time frame there is a guy up here at a Toyota Dealer ship that can do 1 in a Day . I bet 2 days  if parts don't come apart. These guys are Flat rate mechanics and the frame is WarranFree work so they get less then if you came in a requested the frame be done that wasn't covered under warranty . So there going to do it faster 

Im sure there giving you a loaner car but i would tell them you want it in the shop the same day you bring it in . 

3- I have done a million shocks and struts and the Foreign cars seem to come apart better then American hate to say that but true . Im sure your shocks will come apart but i think you said the truck has 160k on it . I would bring in a set of aftermarket Loaded struts if it has front struts and rear shocks . Way cheaper then a dealer . All  though put up a stink and try to get them for free . 

I have been a mechanic all my life and worked on almost every car made . Im ASE Certified Master Tech . I have worked for all kinds of Dealers and makes Honda seems to be the best as far as recalls before people die but the Airbag recall hit all manufactures .

All that being said i drive a Chevy Silverado 

Good luck with it and like i said you didn't put the crap frame under it 

Sometime in the past Toyota had to realize that they or a vendor was using crap steel to make their frames. That should make them responsible for frame replacement AND any related parts. Rust spreads

23 hours ago, whitey said:

1-  I would tell the dealer if they didnt put a crap frame on the truck you wouldn't be looking at replacing any parts that don't come apart . Like shocks, body mounts ,brake lines etc 

Im sure there are supplements that cover that but the dealer is trying to get the customer to pay parts . Like you said stealership . What if a bolt breaks are you suppose to pay for that ?

2- Time frame there is a guy up here at a Toyota Dealer ship that can do 1 in a Day . I bet 2 days  if parts don't come apart. These guys are Flat rate mechanics and the frame is WarranFree work so they get less then if you came in a requested the frame be done that wasn't covered under warranty . So there going to do it faster 

Im sure there giving you a loaner car but i would tell them you want it in the shop the same day you bring it in . 

3- I have done a million shocks and struts and the Foreign cars seem to come apart better then American hate to say that but true . Im sure your shocks will come apart but i think you said the truck has 160k on it . I would bring in a set of aftermarket Loaded struts if it has front struts and rear shocks . Way cheaper then a dealer . All  though put up a stink and try to get them for free . 

I have been a mechanic all my life and worked on almost every car made . Im ASE Certified Master Tech . I have worked for all kinds of Dealers and makes Honda seems to be the best as far as recalls before people die but the Airbag recall hit all manufactures .

All that being said i drive a Chevy Silverado 

Good luck with it and like i said you didn't put the crap frame under it 

the first time that i had this done i didn't ask any questions but i thought that they said every would be covered. i went to get the truck and was handed a bill for shocks, some other stuff, maybe $1200? it took a bit but they waived it because i was getting a new truck (my current one). i had that truck in the stealership over the summer and had them look at the shocks and some other things. i was told at that time the shocks were good other than some rust.

when it goes in i will ask all those questions. as stated above, it's not my fault the frame is bad, if it wasn't for that i wouldn't be replacing shocks, etc so i don't see why i should have to pay for something would be perfectly except for the fact that the frame needs to be replaced. the truck is older, things break, things wear but i don't think i s/b on the hook for that stuff if it was fine otherwise. 

i still haven't heard back. they said it would take a few weeks. so, no rush. the plans for a new truck are looking a little less likely for this year so this one might hang around until 2019.

Thats the way to go in . I would think they get everything along with the frame like brake lines , bolts etc . So i think they Fish to see what you will Bite . Like shocks and sway bar links . I would be more concerned with brake lines then shock bolts coming apart if was selling the job 

Honda had bad trannys in the vans . One thing that wouldn't come apart was the Stabilizer links . So i would put in for those so i wouldn't be held up waiting for new ones to come in if they weren't on the shelf .

Im sure they have everything in stock that has to do with those trucks so the Tech can keep moving . I wish i new someone that works at toyota so i could ask but i don't 

Also Dealerships are like 3 different Businesses . Parts store , Repair shop and those spineless Car Sales they say anything to get you in a car .Then you go to service and say sales said you would do this for free . Then we look like the bad guys when we say no such thing as what your asking for . Mean while that spineless bastard has moved on . 

Again Its Not Your Fault . Stick to your Guns 

Posted (edited)

Had the same problem with a 2005 4Runner even though I had it rust proofed and undercoated.  The frame and cross members were basically gone when I traded it in, but the dealer gave me such a great price on the trade in and new vehicle that I was not upset.  The rust proofing and undercoating were basically worthless because they cracked and fell off in a few years. If anything it kept the moisture and salt in contact with the metal once it cracked and speeded up the corrosion of the frame.

I was told by several Mechanics that once you get the frame and other stuff that will need to be replaced it will cost more than the vehicle is worth even with the warrantee. I got a new 4Runner about the same time my mechanic got his new Tundra.

The good news is the 4Runner ran great for 12 years without any big repairs so it did not owe me anything. I replaced the brakes a few of times, a metal tube line for the power steering, and a muffler and that was it. The Vehicle ran as well as the day I bought it when I traded it in.

The truck was used for lots of surf fishing trips so I figure I ended up way ahead of the game.

Edited by Jay Blair

On 12/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, The Riddler said:

I just saw a 2012 getting the frame replacement.....I'll hold my 17 tacoma for another year and then trade it in for a Silverado or new Ranger.

go for the Silverado more $$$ you won't be disappointed , you get what you pay for .