luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - December 2017

24 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2017 at 4:02 PM, Redpaste said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Attached below is my rig from today.  NO bead. Didn't have any breakoffs either.  Guessing it was the bead.  

Was out fishing north of IRI this morning,  nada.  Moved you CHSP, nothing but skates.  

20171203_124649.jpg

Sometimes people place a bead above the sinker slide or swivel to keep the sinker on the shock leader, not letting it slide past the knot, onto the running line.

On 12/4/2017 at 1:40 PM, Salt Roach said:

Yellow kayaks are all the rage this winter!

:th: From the pictures yours looks a lot nicer though.

Regarding fish finder rig and beads, I always place a bead below the swivel to protect the shock leader to barrel swivel knot.  I never place a bead above the swivel because this pretty much guarantees whatever picks up your break off will die because they will be dragging around your sinker.  I admit that I have had the swivel ride up over the knot when fighting a big drum/striper/shark but have never lost a fish because of it.  I would rather deal with this situation than issue a death sentence to a fish due to my break off.

Lost a drum in the surf from a break off do to a nicked line. Shortly after, a friend down the beach caught it by the sinker. Since then I tie my shock leader directly to my ff rig, no beads, and I make sure the swivel my sinker is attached to, slides over the shock knot.

I'm trying to come up with something that addresses that problem on a dropper loop rig ???

1 hour ago, NewWaveDave said:

thanks for keeping this board going! Hoping for some ice fishing up here in PA. Deer season has been a bust so far.

Coyotes taking a toll, or just not much action? 

Edited by h2oboss

just not the best deer hunter. Living room is decorated with grouse fans and pheasant feathers. Have more squirrel skins and rabbit skins stretched on muskrat stretchers then I care to admit. But deer, not so much. Probably gonna get one or two during winter flintlock. We have coyote, and beautiful, non-mangy ones, too. And still waiting for the lakes to freeze. Anyone ever hear of the hybrid stripers being caught through the ice?

18 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

I plan to give it one last go this weekend n then I'm throwing in the towel. Been a rough fall. Landed 4 fish total ocean front in Nj. 

I'm not even sure I could catch half that many from our beaches right now. I think that's why I've been staying in the backbays. I do want to launch past the breakers still yet this fall if I can the chance to fish during the day and maybe see some bird life going on out there. But certainly not holding my breath on it...

Edited by castnet