Delmarva Fishin' Reports - December 2017

Rate this topic

luckyOC

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

hope the fish that are still around stay around!

Edited by luckyOC

Man, what a morning! I came down 260  into chesapeake Beach and the entire bay had a "smoke" on the water. A wispy, leight fog lit up by a golden rising sun. Got me thinking about eels and IRI or chunks and AI....hope all are enjoying this mild weather. Changes are coming in the next 7-10 days and should get back to a more normal or below normal temperature pattern, with more moisture.

Edited by h2oboss

The problem with common sense is that it's not that common

12 hours ago, OPSteve said:

I’ll kick off the month :)

AIMD for the incoming this afternoon, it was a 3 to 4 foot doggie invasion! Literally every cast. A lot of fun for the kids! I stopped counting after 15...

(thanks for the bait Fishizzle!)

Glad you got to reel in something, better than being stuck at work. Hope you put a bend in the new rod.

John

Still a good number of fish in the back bays. They weren't as concentrated as they had been, but it was steady fish from dark this morning until a little after sunrise. Once the sun got above the buildings in OC the bite fizzled out. But the current was slacking around then too. Nothing huge though; biggest was 25" and most are still averaging around 22". But they sure beat skates and skunks! :) 

P1010079.thumb.JPG.d152eb37b31f26e17d68f9fbf9873cc0.JPGP1010082.thumb.JPG.d14d9ab238b77f1d09330217ec189fc8.JPG

Out on CHSP this morning, nada. Didn't see anything being caught by anyone else either.  

Afternoon/Dusk same thing but south of IRI. 

Lost 3 FF rigs on the cast today.  This hasn't happened to me in years. The only thing I did different was I ADDED a small plastic bead after the sliding rig to protect the knot to the barrel swivel. Could the plastic bead be the culprit? 

10 hours ago, Redpaste said:

Out on CHSP this morning, nada. Didn't see anything being caught by anyone else either.  

Lost 3 FF rigs on the cast today.  This hasn't happened to me in years. The only thing I did different was I ADDED a small plastic bead after the sliding rig to protect the knot to the barrel swivel. Could the plastic bead be the culprit? 

How much weight were you throwing and were you using a shock leader?

11 hours ago, Redpaste said:

I ADDED a small plastic bead after the sliding rig to protect the knot to the barrel swivel. Could the plastic bead be the culprit? 

Sliding rig?  Sounds like you might be using one of those plastic sinker slides.  Most of us use some sort of snap swivel to hold the sinker.  The snap is big enough to fit OVER the knot so no stinkin' bead is needed.  A cheapie snap swivel will not reliably hold your sinker during a cast.  Suggest you try a McMahon snap attached to 2/0 swivel.  Springer asked about a shock leader.  It is mandatory.  I use 50# Big Game. 

18 hours ago, Redpaste said:

Sure. If you are using a bead in that application be sure that it doesn't have sharp edges at the ends of the hole....

Unknown

On 12/3/2017 at 4:02 PM, Redpaste said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Attached below is my rig from today.  NO bead. Didn't have any breakoffs either.  Guessing it was the bead.  

Was out fishing north of IRI this morning,  nada.  Moved you CHSP, nothing but skates.  

20171203_124649.jpg

You should've tried next to those rocks in the background, that spot always looks fishy.