Anyone with a LC? (Jdm, no domestic)

hoakge12000

Was just wondering if anyone has a Jdm spec Landcruiser 70/80/105 (probably not 105 yet) series import or HINO diesel converted US spec cruiser.

I have seen some petrol cruisers and a bunch of 3rd 4th 5th gen toyos around in LI.

I noticed for some mysterious reason here in US jeeps are very popular due to the lack of JDM cruisers/hiluxes. For those who don't know what I am talking about, they are like jeeps if jeeps were reliable and have insane compression engine ratios which yield incredible MPG numbers.

Does anyone know if these are checked for for 4x4 permits? I feel like some prideful people would be stopped frequently for inspection as they are very different looking.

I have a gas guzzling US spec FZJ80 (locked), but I know a few guys in Florida that have JDM spec HDJ80's

They're cool and all, but not worth the headache of importing and servicing IMHO (especially the RHD models)

They came with a lot of factory options that weren't available on the US spec models (Aisin Winch, Toyo Snorkel, Shower Bladder, Hand Throttle, Ice Maker, etc.), but are also trimmed down with steel wheels, cloth seats, no moonroof, etc., so it's like give and take.

Would be nice to have a diesel over here, but the thought of sourcing parts for an engine that's practically non existent in the states just doesn't make sense for a daily driver.

beachcruisindemo.jpg

bikes.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a few here in the NoVA area as well, but as mentioned, a gigantic headache should you need parts, assuming you could do ALL the maintenance too since people here would be lost 100%.  I'm leaning towards a LC or GX460 myself next I think, closest to the Prado, toyota parts somewhat interchangeable with some effort, and good aftermarket.  Zero diesel, or RHD of course.  Not many other options in my book!  After reading there was Tacoma FRAME recalls, makes me question things but I'm sure they're all made in different places and hence end-game quality as well.

(*member formerly known as 'jbg123')

13 hours ago, Moose said:

I've seen a few here in the NoVA area as well, but as mentioned, a gigantic headache should you need parts, assuming you could do ALL the maintenance too since people here would be lost 100%.  I'm leaning towards a LC or GX460 myself next I think, closest to the Prado, toyota parts somewhat interchangeable with some effort, and good aftermarket.  Zero diesel, or RHD of course.  Not many other options in my book!  After reading there was Tacoma FRAME recalls, makes me question things but I'm sure they're all made in different places and hence end-game quality as well.

tacoma and tundra arent jdm. so nothing to worry about when getting jdm. gx is sweet. 100 and 200 series are awesome but so rare to find.

12 mins ago, hoakge12000 said:

snakeeater, do you have a larger fuel tank? im thinking of getting a 100 series and running 138L petrol. did yours ever give issues? 

Stock tank, but I did replace it with a used one last year because it had a slight leak at the seam (common problem)

Didn't want the hassle of downtime doing a repair, so I just picked up used one from a junkyard, sent it out to be boiled and sealed with Red-Kote, then threw it in no worries.

I considered an extended fuel tank from Man-A-Fre, but the cost was just way too high ($1500 vs $50/$50 for the used)

2 hours ago, Moose said:

Amen to that!

I do have to say though, we aren't helping the cause here at all. Took me a while to realize this fault of mine.

The wrangler is unpractical for anything other than a weekend off road trip, because serious things require a payload, even though its 4x4 suspension is great.
The hilux is a smaller and much stronger tacoma. 
The tacoma is the product of amazing engineering done half way. Rusted frame + reliability + no solid front axle -> is this a soccer mom truck?
The tundra is also the same as above. Strong C-Channel frame + reliability + towing + no solid front axle + no locking diffs -> I am confused what this is supposed to be. A strong bus?
The landcruiser 200, same as above, but replace no locking diffs with tiny fuel tank... A great off roader for the first half of the trip... there wont be a second half since fuel tank will run out.
The sequoia: if a crossover and a truck gave birth to a child.  Very questionable.
The 4runner: a better JDM quality tacoma with a cap... but no sold front axle... and cant tow.
The land rover-US: crossovers cant rove over the land.
The land rover-Defender: imagine if a wrangler looked good, but better have spare parts as it is insanely unreliable. it is banned from the USA. Thank you uncle sam.
The GQ patrol: best off roader ever to roam the planet, with a taste of random engine failure that can lead you stranded.
The landcruiser 70/80: The best workmate truck, decent off roader, and looks terrible inside for the price. Runs forever, is built like a tank, giant payload, can tow a lot, and best of all.. it is banned from the USA. Thank you uncle sam.
GM: Good trucks, amazing towing, solid frame underneath, look very nice inside, but break after 150k miles.

Ram: same as GM, but break after 7k miles as opposed to 150k. 

Ford: Amazing for towing, Used to be crap, but is making a comeback. Have to wait and see what happens. Is overly hyped, and interior is not that great as GM.
Ford bronco: Goodbye. will likely return as soccer mom ifs.
Ford Ranger: Goodbye. will likely return as soccer mom ifs.

The way i see it now, there is no correct truck, and the funniest thing is when people claim that there is a magic one-has-it-all truck that is bentley on the inside and landcruiser underneath. I see this a lot in the Ford Vs Ram vs Tundra Vs Chevy vs GMC pickup market. If I was a millionaire, i'd drive all, but being in lower class puts my decision at a jdm truck strictly due ti reliability, and nothing else,

Edited by hoakge12000

6 hours ago, hoakge12000 said:

I do have to say though, we aren't helping the cause here at all. Took me a while to realize this fault of mine.

The wrangler is unpractical for anything other than a weekend off road trip, because serious things require a payload, even though its 4x4 suspension is great.
The hilux is a smaller and much stronger tacoma. 
The tacoma is the product of amazing engineering done half way. Rusted frame + reliability + no solid front axle -> is this a soccer mom truck?
The tundra is also the same as above. Strong C-Channel frame + reliability + towing + no solid front axle + no locking diffs -> I am confused what this is supposed to be. A strong bus?
The landcruiser 200, same as above, but replace no locking diffs with tiny fuel tank... A great off roader for the first half of the trip... there wont be a second half since fuel tank will run out.
The sequoia: if a crossover and a truck gave birth to a child.  Very questionable.
The 4runner: a better JDM quality tacoma with a cap... but no sold front axle... and cant tow.
The land rover-US: crossovers cant rove over the land.
The land rover-Defender: imagine if a wrangler looked good, but better have spare parts as it is insanely unreliable. it is banned from the USA. Thank you uncle sam.
The GQ patrol: best off roader ever to roam the planet, with a taste of random engine failure that can lead you stranded.
The landcruiser 70/80: The best workmate truck, decent off roader, and looks terrible inside for the price. Runs forever, is built like a tank, giant payload, can tow a lot, and best of all.. it is banned from the USA. Thank you uncle sam.
GM: Good trucks, amazing towing, solid frame underneath, look very nice inside, but break after 150k miles.

Ram: same as GM, but break after 7k miles as opposed to 150k. 

Ford: Amazing for towing, Used to be crap, but is making a comeback. Have to wait and see what happens. Is overly hyped, and interior is not that great as GM.
Ford bronco: Goodbye. will likely return as soccer mom ifs.
Ford Ranger: Goodbye. will likely return as soccer mom ifs.

The way i see it now, there is no correct truck, and the funniest thing is when people claim that there is a magic one-has-it-all truck that is bentley on the inside and landcruiser underneath. I see this a lot in the Ford Vs Ram vs Tundra Vs Chevy vs GMC pickup market. If I was a millionaire, i'd drive all, but being in lower class puts my decision at a jdm truck strictly due ti reliability, and nothing else,

This is great!  Had me dying lol, but all great points for sure and reinforces my wanting a 120/50 series or GX when the time comes for me.  The only other SUV I lilke is the Jeep GC, new ones that I've rented to come up and fish in NJ are smooth and do well on gas, I'm sure do well off road, but it's the higher mile area where I'd start to feel a bit sketchy upwards of 100-120K and getting out of a warranty.  I know they have their following, and there are a number of high mileage Jeeps on the asphalt and rough, but I wouldn't say it's the same as a Yota-JDM or Nissan.

Where you from anyhow hoakge12000, I sense the international knowledge spilling about!  I know in Peru when I went back in June, Prados, HiLux, Patrols, all the cool stuff, I took so many pics of things in traffic it was ridiculous!  I'll have to post some up.

born and raised in eastern europe on border of pol/ukr, then moved to usa. this is also. family and fishing in NE (is fantastic) are literally the only reasons why I am here. i only live in NYC, and not the true US. perhaps i need to get out of this crapshow before anything goes for a toll.

as for the cars, i still think it is better to buy a gas guzzling yota (4run/taco/tundra/lc200 not sequoia) even for longer trips. less risk of failure, but i grind my teeth everybtime i have to tank.

1 hour ago, hoakge12000 said:

born and raised in eastern europe on border of pol/ukr, then moved to usa. this is also. family and fishing in NE (is fantastic) are literally the only reasons why I am here. i only live in NYC, and not the true US. perhaps i need to get out of this crapshow before anything goes for a toll.

as for the cars, i still think it is better to buy a gas guzzling yota (4run/taco/tundra/lc200 not sequoia) even for longer trips. less risk of failure, but i grind my teeth everybtime i have to tank.

Yes Sir agreed, when I head up to NJ we'll have to hit the water sometime, headed to NYC in a few weeks actually for vaca~

Its not just the Dana frames, even the FJ frames which were made in Japan had rust problems, not as bad as the Tacomas but they do rust and the FJ, even though made in Japan had a lot of quality problems. Cracked inner fenders up front, leaky roof racks, etc. 

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra