Hikes run

A Long Time Coming

11 posts in this topic

Well, it’s finally happening. We're making the move. As of Monday, December 4th we will be official residents of the great state of North Carolina's outer banks. My wife, then girlfriend, first brought me down to the OBX ten years ago. She had made her first trip down the previous year. Since then we've made the eight and a half hour drive from south central Pennsylvania close to thirty times. It started with one trip a year, then it was two, then three and the last few years it's been four or five. We've truly fallen in love with the place. More than once I've looked over at my wife while driving north on 12 going home to find her literally in tears because she had to leave. It's just in her blood. We’re at a good time in our lives to do it and we figured if we didn’t make it happen now we probably never would. At forty-three I’d like to think I’m still young enough to enjoy quite a few years here.

So, after ten years of talking about it, five years of planning, six months of downsizing and three weeks of packing we're soon to be on our way. The final piece of the puzzle was finding full time, year round employment in our respective fields. This finally happened after attending some interviews we had set up during our last August trip. We've always stayed in the Buxton/Frisco/Hatteras area but unfortunately the jobs just aren't there so we've ended up in Nags Head, Whalebone specifically. It's only an hour to Buxton with plenty of good fishing to be had in the more immediate area as well. Our plan is to post up our camper south and be able to crash there on weekends and after fishing late into the night.

I have to admit, it's a bit intimidating leaving everyone and everything you know behind. We have no friends or family anywhere close to be honest. That being said, If any of you local guys and gals would like to get together sometime for a chat, coffee, breakfast, lunch, whatever, just shoot me a PM. We'd love to find out a bit more about the area from someone who actually lives there. Just be prepared, my wife can be a bit chatty. Any of you coming this way can shoot me one too if you’re looking for some company to fish with. I plan on spending most of my off time with rod in hand and am really looking forward to being able to fish those stretches of good conditions I always seem to miss out on being too far away to make the drive. So, here goes everything…..wish me luck!

Posted (edited)

Congrats to you and the lady for making it happen...

Sounds like you both have salt water in your veins.                       My first trip to the Outer Banks was in 1971 when a bunch of guys who just graduated high school decided to pile into a Mercury Montego convertible and go camping at the beaches in Maryland, Virginia & NC before we all headed off to our respective college destinations. I started going down to Hatteras on a regular basis when I took up surf fishing 12 years later in 1983....back in those days it was slammer 14-16 lb bluefish in the fall...every trip we took we learned something new about what to fish for...when and where. We always envied the locals who could stop what they were doing....put down a pen or hammer and grab a rod and reel and hit the sound or surf when the fish were in the neighborhood in great numbers. We were lucky to plan one or two trips a year in those days and hit it just right ...weatherwise....and with no cell phones or internet back then it was a real challenge. Nowadays we have many conveniences but the challenge persists. I know the feeling you two shared on your trips home...wondering when.... or if..... you'd make it back to the Outer Banks. Here's hoping your transplant is successful. ( Attached is an old pic of me at the north beach in Buxton 1987....my brother and I envy the locals who can drop what they're doing and go Speck hunting ..... )                    

20171015_184431.jpg

Edited by dixiekraut

HR - Congrats to you for living the dream and best of luck! Be sure to post some pics/reports for those of us that aren't so lucky.

dixiekraut - your story reminds me of my favorite Old Milwaukee commercial...

I first went down in 1975.  We stayed in the sand with Boy Scouts on south side of Oregon inlet when coastguard station was still there.

Started coming back down again after I settled down, married and we had our Daughter around 1994 or so.  Been coming down ever since. 

Some years jobs made me miss our trips. As our Daughter grew up we were forced to come down more during summers because of school. 

Daughter graduated and moved to Fla, now its just wife and I. This year we spend 30 night down there in our truck camper (and I think we skipped  Aug).   We would love to move there, but no work in my field.

We are also from south PA, on the east Lancaster county border.

That's good news. I have been making the trip from south jersey since '77 every year with the exception of a few years for school. My wife and family love it there as much as me. I took my wife down in 1992 and she too fell in love with Hatteras village/Frisco area. This year we made a week trip in early October and then again Thanksgiving week. People ask me if I have a place there. I say only in my heart. I would like to make it down to NC someday, but I just don't see it happening. So, I will continue to take the boys fishing trips and family trips every year. It's enough, barely.

That's great, good for you and congratulations on the move. You failed to mention how soon you'd be starting construction on the guest house?

^^^

Take a deep breath and learn to relax. Leave everything up know about Pennsylvania up there.

Tips: Fresh bait. Oregon inlet bridge has stripers under it all summer long... Learn to read the surf... Fresh bait. The ocean is like a farm pond - morning & evening fishing w/evening the better... And NEVER consider the ride to Buxton too long. Fresh bait. (fire starter:?) Ramp to sound south of 34 - big drum in evening all summer.

Get to know: Ryan White at Hatteras Jacks, Ginger at Frank & Frans, Dan and Dede at Red Drum Tackle, and JAM at Teach's Lair... they fish.

Enjoy the lifestyle...