Guppy lures just online now??

Rate this topic

codfish

3 hours ago, Knoxy10 said:

The plus side to it is we don’t have to wait for orders by the tackle shops because they don’t have to make them in bulk. we can rely on ourselves and know when it’s coming in. But the downside is they get to choose the price now so we won’t get competitive pricing. I hope they stay reasonable and ship faster than they did when selling to companies. I wish the best of luck and I’ll always be a customer because of their quality and the way it swims in the water. 

I'm keenly interested in learning more about the "competitive pricing" to which you refer. 

You are indeed more fortunate than most of us in that you have many shops within 1/2 hour drive from Bourne, including shops in BBay, Falmouth, Sagamore, etc., among which you have apparently compared retail prices. 

Please share with us the variations that you saw this past season for Guppy 2 3/8 oz and 2 3/4 oz pencils.  No need to mention names of any shops, just a "highest I saw/lowest I saw, among the many shops I frequented, was <describe the price range>"

Thanks in advance for your help.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

24 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

I'm keenly interested in learning more about the "competitive pricing" to which you refer. 

You are indeed more fortunate than most of us in that you have many shops within 1/2 hour drive from Bourne, including shops in BBay, Falmouth, Sagamore, etc., among which you have apparently compared retail prices. 

Please share with us the variations that you saw this past season for Guppy 2 3/8 oz and 2 3/4 oz pencils.  No need to mention names of any shops, just a "highest I saw/lowest I saw, among the many shops I frequented, was <describe the price range>"

Thanks in advance for your help.

I saw in one tackle shop that guppy lures were 23.99 and another I saw it for 24.99. But it was months ago so the other tackle shop could have changed prices but that’s what I remember seeing. Even though it’s a dollar difference. But if you save a dollar or two per lure. You could save hundreds by the end of the season if you are as bad as me, haha. 

Knoxy10

9 mins ago, Knoxy10 said:

I saw in one tackle shop that guppy lures were 23.99 and another I saw it for 24.99. But it was months ago so the other tackle shop could have changed prices but that’s what I remember seeing. Even though it’s a dollar difference. But if you save a dollar or two per lure. You could save hundreds by the end of the season if you are as bad as me, haha. 

How many Guppy lures did you buy last year? 

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

10 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Has anyone invited Guppy to the Trolls' Spring Casting event?  If not, I will do so.

Very good idea. I would love to stock up on some plugs if guppy decides to show.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Id like to cast one and see how they fly.

I'll definitely bring a couple without hooks to the casting event. Really looking forward to trying out some different gear and throwing some different weights at this springs event.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

How many Guppy lures did you buy last year? 

2-3 but I was planning to buy more except the tackle shop I go to didn’t have the ones I needed. A friend of mine gave me one to replace one I lost but I want to buy 5-10 more for next season 

Knoxy10

I think it's a good move by Guppy.  Anyone know the wholesale price of Guppy Pencils?  That seems a vital piece of information to have before you can say with any certainty that this will/won't have an impact on their profitability.  

If Guppy sells Pencils to shops for $12 and shops are charging us $24, then Guppy will make a killing by going to online only.  People will buy quality stuff online, without question.  Look at how fast plug builders sell their stuff on the Commercial BST here or on Facebook!  It's virtually instantly sold.  

Although completely different products, Canada Goose, the maker of high-end winter clothing, plans to sell directly to consumers.

They say they can make 100% to 300% more by selling direct to consumers, either thru its stores or online, than by going through other retailers.

When one considers that the average mark up is between 40 and 50 percent , depending on store and product one can realize that an independent

manufacture may do as well , if not better by going direct to the customer. It all depends upon how strong the customer base may be . If the customer base is good they will do just fine. Especially by selling also at the up and coming shows around this time of the year.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal