Guppy lures just online now??

Rate this topic

codfish

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

I just don't see Guppy's new business plan succeeding.  They seem to make a good product. IMO relying only on online sales will reduce sales.  Unless they can reduce their production and operating expenses accordingly, then how will this increase profitability?

Perhaps they've overestimated the size of the market?  Maybe the market is already too competitive and fragmented, and their market share is marginal. 

I'm certainly no computer wiz, but I was just on their website and not only could I not find their prices, I couldn't figure out how to buy a plug. 

dito

Changing distribution strategy often requires other changes in the marketing mix.  (Yes, I am aware that this is MKTG 101.) 

In this case, since they will no longer have any "push" from retailers, they (I hope) have assessed the requirements for more aggressive pull tactics, including increases in budgets for shows, advertising and possibly events, and found the results palatable within the constraints of their operations and capital positions.

I wish them well.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So............. 

If they are lurking and reading this. Wanna come to the ditch trolls casting event in the spring?  We can remove the hooks and let these fly!!!!! 

And fly they will. They would be my number one pencil for action and distance if it wasn't for the price tag. I hate to say it but if I cant buy them in a shop I'll probably end up going with something else.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

About $24 and $29 for the 2 3/8 oz and 2 3/4 oz, respectively, IIRC.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

About $24 and $29 for the 2 3/8 oz and 2 3/4 oz, respectively, IIRC.

Not bad if its a good Plug.

I have had a wooden plug for 4 seasons now and its my go to.

How much does a pack of golf balls cost? I dunno

24 for a good Plug is fine with me.

troll #122  <*)))<

The price doesn't bother me IF i'm in a shop and i can physically see the lure, examine it and figure out what works best for me in person.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

How does that compare to Gibbs ,Lefty, Arra and Gags plugs in the same sizes.?

Carl, I'm not sure about the prices for those plugs, other to say that, in general, I find Gibbs plugs to be about 30% less, and Gibbs Pro plugs to be about 15% less than the Guppy wood. 

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

Has anyone invited Guppy to the Trolls' Spring Casting event?  If not, I will do so.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

Guppy has a big enough following that I do not see "online only" hurting their sales. Social media has such momentum these days that they could run FB sales; like many other plug builders do; and have every plug they turn sold in seconds. Unless the shops themselves that sold Guppy refuse to tell customers what happened; when asked; they will still be inadvertently advertising for Guppy.

Example. Customer: "What happened to Guppy I wanted to pick up my favorite pencil?"

Shop Owner: " We don't carry them anymore"?

Customer : "why not?"

Shop owners will either have to lie; or tell the truth; that Guppy can only be ordered online now. So the customer is going to take out their phones when they leave the shop and order a hand full of pencils to keep stocked up... 

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

The plus side to it is we don’t have to wait for orders by the tackle shops because they don’t have to make them in bulk. we can rely on ourselves and know when it’s coming in. But the downside is they get to choose the price now so we won’t get competitive pricing. I hope they stay reasonable and ship faster than they did when selling to companies. I wish the best of luck and I’ll always be a customer because of their quality and the way it swims in the water. 

Knoxy10