codfish

Guppy lures just online now??

240 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, surf runner said:

Ba Ba Bouy, Please contact me at guppylures@aol.com so I can make this right. You should not be having a problem with the finish. I take pride in the quality of the lures.

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne, nothing to "make right". I'm not claiming there was a defect.

Guppy pencils seem like they have either a spray on clear coat or a thin coat of epoxy. This may help in buoyancy and/or action but it hurts in the durability dept. Other pencils I often use have similar issues, I love BigFishBaitCo's pencils too but IMO Larry's finish suffers from the same vulnerable thin protective coating. 

Pencils such as Afterhours, Mike's Customs, & Luna for example, have thicker and much more durable epoxy shields. How that effects ease of use & action, I can't really say. I wouldn't classify my Guppy experiences as a wrong that needs to be made right though. Purchasing one brand over another is a consideration of many factors. Cost, durability, & ease of purchase are some of those considerations. 

I hope you know that I'm not overly dissatisfied with the product you make, but rather have reconsidered their value based on factors I previously mentioned. It was far easier to go to a local shop at a 20% off spring sale than it is going to a paid admission show and paying full retail. Not sure how this factors in to your new business model but honest feedback is a good way for any businessman to weigh future ways forward. I asked you at the show about local pickups and you gave an emphatic "no".

I'm not looking for freebies or trying to insult a good product that has proven its worth. As with most products there is always room for improvement and only you can decide what is worth doing and what just isn't feasible. I wish your new business tact the best of luck even if it no longer lines up with my buying style.  

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Wayne, nothing to "make right". I'm not claiming there was a defect.

Guppy pencils seem like they have either a spray on clear coat or a thin coat of epoxy. This may help in buoyancy and/or action but it hurts in the durability dept. Other pencils I often use have similar issues, I love BigFishBaitCo's pencils too but IMO Larry's finish suffers from the same vulnerable thin protective coating. 

Pencils such as Afterhours, Mike's Customs, & Luna for example, have thicker and much more durable epoxy shields. How that effects ease of use & action, I can't really say. I wouldn't classify my Guppy experiences as a wrong that needs to be made right though. Purchasing one brand over another is a consideration of many factors. Cost, durability, & ease of purchase are some of those considerations. 

I hope you know that I'm not overly dissatisfied with the product you make, but rather have reconsidered their value based on factors I previously mentioned. It was far easier to go to a local shop at a 20% off spring sale than it is going to a paid admission show and paying full retail. Not sure how this factors in to your new business model but honest feedback is a good way for any businessman to weigh future ways forward. I asked you at the show about local pickups and you gave an emphatic "no".

I'm not looking for freebies or trying to insult a good product that has proven its worth. As with most products there is always room for improvement and only you can decide what is worth doing and what just isn't feasible. I wish your new business tact the best of luck even if it no longer lines up with my buying style.  

For me its how it functions, how it casts, durability and cost. I will do what needs to be done to get "that" plug that I want. I have had Afterhours and mikes and CC Tackle plugs with hard as nails Finnish on them that I have been using for 4 or so years that show only small amounts of wear on them. 

Some times to get a plug shipped cost a few more bucks but if its a plug I want I will do what I need to to get what I want. 

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher
Spelling

I second ba ba buoy's comment.  Don't get me wrong, the jobo pencil is my favorite, but just having a ring of gouges from the hooks alone in just a matter of hours is not what I would consider a durable plug. i am not sure it has to do with the topcoat or the softer wood for higher buoyancy.  I am not a plug builder so I am not sure about the delicate inner working that's in place to create a great plug such as the jobo

5 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

I'm feeling the opposite. I went to the CT demo day recently, I purchased a Jobo snr., didn't look closely at the prices, & handed over $30 and got $2 back in change. I soon thought to myself that the effort to go to a show, pay admission, (or pay shipping) plus $28 is just too much for my taste. Factor that in with Guppy's delicate finish that struggles to hold up against any action and you lose a lot of value compared to some others. A little epoxy finish and more competitive pricing would go a long way for me.

I'm going to my local shops during the spring sales and buying other choices close to home. Jumping through hoops to overpay for pencils was a one time thing for me. I do still like the action, have had great results, and like to support local, but the new Guppy sales model just isn't working for me.

I agree on a cpl points.

Yeah, a thicker epoxy finish (like Don's AH) is quite a bit more durable. Aesthetically I could care less about minor to moderate finish loss. (I think most finish detail is more important for angler eyes vs fish). What I don't like with deep finish loss is wet wood. Action goes out the window with a waterlogged plug.

As for "28 bucks"?  ..ehhhh....  a few more dollars than I'd like to see. If they were epoxy finished then 28 sounds fine.

I don't mind ordering online from a trusted plug craftsman. Stinks if you lose your last money plug on the morning tide and cant replace it on the ride home (and have to wait days or weeks for a replacement), but I dont lose many plugs from fish or eff-up, so that's not really a thing for me.

Because my time on the water is rather ditch heavy, a lot of my casts are lead. As for the rest of the bases, I feel like I can almost always cover them with a dozen different plugs... maybe 18 if I stretch it and add in minor players. 3/4 are wood. Each one of those fills a specific job/niche. For me the jobo fills one. I prefer it over the lefthook. I'll continue to buy and throw it, despite some of the mentioned drawbacks.

I can only make so many casts per tide and per blitz. What's a typical dawn bite.. 30min to an hour? The way I see it is, I got 30 casts or so to get it done. I might cycle through 6 plugs max during that time if one or the other isnt raising fish. On a fair number of mornings if the game is right up on top, and the fish are not beyond its range out in the middle, I can pick fish with the jobo. No, it's not some miracle plug that rakes fish every cast every blitz. Hardly. Just a pencil that gets me a steady couple fairly consistently. 

I have almost abandoned wood pencils the last two seasons. I would go back to wood if these we made with a more durable finish. Guppy was my favorite wood pencil. 

I wonder how many would pay a premium for the epoxy finish? I would, but what is it worth? $35 for a more durable plug? 

Wayne is reading, maybe there is a chance if there is interest from us, and they are capable of producing it. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

I have almost abandoned wood pencils the last two seasons. I would go back to wood if these we made with a more durable finish. Guppy was my favorite wood pencil. 

I wonder how many would pay a premium for the epoxy finish? I would, but what is it worth? $35 for a more durable plug? 

Wayne is reading, maybe there is a chance if there is interest from us, and they are capable of producing it. 

There are plenty of durable plugs in the 35 dollar and under price range. 

Going back in time the Gibb plugs as many others of that time that were fish producers all had in my opinion a soft finish that allowed hook scars when used in battle with Big Momma.  When one looks at the Old crude Hog Hunter a great fish catcher and how the Hesses re manufactured this plug even made it better. Perhaps we have a learning lesson here for Wayne that something in his finish process a correction may need to be made or a batch got through that was not done properly by accident . Then again he may want to rethink the above customers comments and determine the value in what was posted as a more positive selling tool in the future. If the present price is close to the $30 mark , how does one then still keep the profit margin and at the same time increase the cost to make it better. in balance. Being on a fixed income however I would say that the price may become a challenge if it remains on line at that price plus shipping costs. ? Brother Wayne give Pops a hug from me.

Posted (edited)

I like Guppy's because they flat out work.  If you're looking for distance the 3oz will get out there, but it isn't really a distance pencil.  I'm not sure what the obsession with distance casting is.  Half the time the fish are in close enough, and hooking a fish way out in the middle sucks for everyone anyways.

Guppy will do fine online.  They've built up a following up and down the coast because they catch. Their durability, the distance they get... it's all good for me because of how they catch.  I fish them in the Canal when I'm there, but I've caught most of my bass on them while fishing the surf.  IMO the action is a little different than most pencils.  If you work them slow and subtle enough, you can get them to almost flip like a pogie or other large bait fish.  You can also raise fish with the 3.5oz if you work it like it a spook.  In the fall of 2015, two years ago, I had the time to fish during the day and would just look for schools of pogies with bass on them.  I must've caught at least 200 fish that Oct on the 3oz white and yellow/white (only colors I fish). 

If you're reading this and are worried about not being able to get a Guppy when it goes off, then start building a collection now so that you don't have to worry about it once the season starts.

Wish nothing but the best for Wayne and the rest of the crew at Guppy as they're a top notch company that makes a proven winner of a plug.

12901076_10154625972959325_8613362339004850823_o.jpg

Edited by rbart

1 min ago, rbart said:

I like Guppy's because they flat out work.  If you're looking for distance the 3oz will get out there, but it isn't really a distance pencil.  I'm not sure what the obsession with distance casting is.  Half the time the fish are in close enough, and hooking a fish way out in the middle sucks for everyone anyways.

Guppy will do fine online.  They've built up a following up and down the coast because they catch. Their durability, the distance they get... it's all good for me because of how they catch.  I fish them in the Canal when I'm there, but I've caught most of my bass on them while fishing the surf.  IMO the action is a little different than most pencils.  If you work them slow and subtle enough, you can get them to almost flip like a pogie or other large bait fish.  You can also raise fish with the 3.5oz if you work it like it a spook.  In the fall of 2015, two years ago, I had the time to fish during the day and would just look for schools of pogies with bass on them.  I must've caught at least 200 fish that Oct on the 3oz white and yellow/white (only colors I fish). 

If you're reading this and are worried about not being able to get a Guppy when it goes off, then start building a collection now so that you don't have to worry about it once the season starts.

Wish nothing but the best for Wayne and the rest of the crew at Guppy as they're a top notch company that makes a proven winner of a plug.

unnamed.jpg

My obsession with distance means the difference between catching fish and going home empty handed when the fish are in the middle. That happened to me at least 3 times last season that I recall before the easy pickens came in close. 

At that point it did not matter what plug you used as it was an easy score with most plugs. 

Guppy will be at the R I. fishing show 2018  booth 0806, saw them there last year also , buy some lures , get some stickers !

20 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

My obsession with distance means the difference between catching fish and going home empty handed when the fish are in the middle. That happened to me at least 3 times last season that I recall before the easy pickens came in close. 

At that point it did not matter what plug you used as it was an easy score with most plugs. 

Bounce a shad or jig on the bottom in close while you're watching fish break out in the middle and you might save a few more skunks

2 mins ago, rbart said:

Bounce a shad or jig on the bottom in close while you're watching fish break out in the middle and you might save a few more skunks

Hey, I'll give that a go next time. Thanks :idea: