codfish

Guppy lures just online now??

42 posts in this topic

Talked to a friend at my local B/T who said Guppy lures is just selling online now, no more stores is this true??

I believe so. They stopped selling to the 3 tackle shops I go to in NJ. I hear Guppy and CCW are both going all online. 

This is true. Got the call a few weeks ago. Already started on next year’s plugs. I assume because of this I’ll see an uptick in my shop orders.

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I heard this as well, so its true then? 

Mike at M&D's had a Facebook post about it a couple of weeks ago.

Dear Shop owners,

Effective November 10, 2017 Guppy Lures will no longer take orders from tackle shops. 
This has been a very difficult decision for us as we have had a great relationship with many of you for over 15 years.

Despite several attempts to maintain competitive pricing in the shops, it has not been profitable for us.
As a result, we have decided to do direct on-line sales and we will be opening the Guppy online store in January.

Pete and I, as well as the entire Hess Family would like to thank you for your support over these
past several years and we wish you all the best in the upcoming 2018 season.

Sincerely,

Pete and Wayne

13 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

I believe so. They stopped selling to the 3 tackle shops I go to in NJ. I hear Guppy and CCW are both going all online. 

What is CCW?

Yes sir, they make metal lips and darters. Real nice plugs, fish catchers. Yellow 5” Jetty swimmer is worth its weight in gold. 

Posted (edited)

Interesting business strategy..........forward integration.

Edited by Joe G

Posted (edited)

Can’t blame the builders. They’re missing out on $10-$15 per plug by selling to shops. They are almost doubling their profit by going online. 

Edited by Local24 SSP

The memo that Wayne put out says that we.... "will no longer take orders from tackle shops".

I wonder if he also means to preclude tackle shops from buying in bulk at Hess's online prices.

4 hours ago, Joe G said:

I wonder if he also means to preclude tackle shops from buying in bulk at Hess's online prices.

Why would a shop have any interest in buying in bulk at retail prices? I'm sure this whole move is predicated on making profit margins more equitable for the manufacturer, I doubt they would they go back down the road of higher volume but lower profits. If they sell half as many online, they'll probably make the same amount with far less labor and headaches. If it doesn't work out, they can always go back to shipping wholesale to shops again.

Guess I'll have to stock up for week long camp/fish trips. Hate to run out of the color that's hot with no way to resupply.

Or just buy Lefthooks. Get busy scrapper. :D

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

Guess I'll have to stock up for week long camp/fish trips. Hate to run out of the color that's hot with no way to resupply.

Or just buy Lefthooks. Get busy scrapper. :D

I know when I'm at the ditch for a week or so I have at least 20 different pencils by different makers.  I prefer Guppy's, they are ususally my go-to but if I lose one in a certain color I'll have a duplicate color by Guppy & other makers.  I carry way too much stuff in my camper, but on occasion that's come in handy.