fish taco

Bald Eagles in NJ

55 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, Gilbey said:

Slightly off topic, but Rocco or others, what can you tell me about blue heron habits? I have a LOT in my area which is expected with lots of water and fo,od. However last spring I found what appeared to be a grouping of heron nests down near my river. I have never seen anything like that before. 

great blue herons (and many other herons and egrets )are colonial nesters and that's what you found - breeding colony. an island or a really big tree that offers some safety and seclusion are where you'll typically find the colony.

they are serial monogamists, meaning that each breeding season they choose a new mate to which they are reasonably faithful with for that breeding season. if you can observe the colony from a safe distance, you would probably see a lot of courtship behavior when one birds meet up at the nest. they pass sticks around, clap their bills and put on some plumage displays.

The herons and egrets are interesting to watch do their fishing...great egrets and blue herons will slowly wade the shallows, and their neck will start swaying side to side just before they take a stab at a fish...if they're around when I'm freshwater fishing i try to fish near them. i have yet to see a black-crowned night heron fishing.

black-crowned night-herons are, as you may have guessed, most active at night. :ph34r: 

you might catch a silohouette of one or hear one in the dark without realizing what it is.

Posted (edited)

I have seen them before in middlesex county once flying around a park before it took a fast dive, definitely picked something off the ground

Edited by Ejd63

It's awesome you boys get so many up there, I imagine there's more towards the shore in general.   A few years ago I saw my first here in northern VA out near wine country near Middleburg, posted up on top of a dead tree above a winery just stalking out a meal like a red-tail hawk does.  I almost crashed, couldn't believe it, totally awesome, it was easily 2-3x the size of a red-tail.  Another year or two later I saw one in winter out in a field in the same area, eating something dead either via it's own means or another's cause; cool as hell either way.  MURICA FTW~

I always see them on the Rancocas and Pennsauken Creeks. Usually 2 of them on the Pennsauken, near the landfill. Awesome sight to see.

Not a birder but my understanding is that they are on the upswing quite a bit the last few years here in Bergen. There is at least one pair living in the Riverside Square Mall area. I see eagles of some sort gliding the drafts from my backyard daily.

I took my dog for a run yesterday and thought I would take a couple pics of the heron colony I was talking about. There are about 15 nests, and the herons were very active. They were not happy I was taking pics, or maybe it was my spaniel they didn't like :) . Cool stuff.

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.466407bf526f6c0a9bb51127dd319e12.JPG