fish taco

Bald Eagles in NJ

55 posts in this topic

you guys seem to have this pretty well covered.

14 hours ago, JerseySwells said:

There are over 200 known nesting pairs of Bald Eagles in NJ. The DEP puts out a report on them every year. There are about 4 or 5 nesting pairs in Moco that I am aware of. They, like osprey nest near water but are more opportunistic hunters, taking not only fish but waterfowl, small mammals, pretty much anything they can catch. See my local pair in Moco pretty frequently, even saw one today at sunset flying in off the ocean while fishing on a local jetty. Right now some pairs are beginning to work on their nests for egg laying which can occur from January to March. Check the most recent report on the DEP website, maybe theres a new nest near the location you were visiting this weekend!

are these 2017 numbers? i haven't seen them yet. i know 2016 was 150 active nests, with about 172 nests having at least territorial pairs of birds present. to my knowledge we haven't had over 200 nesting pairs in my lifetime (47 years).

5 hours ago, BrianZ said:

Rocco is the bird guy.

I don't think they are as rare as they were a couple decades ago. i see a few a year up by me in north jersey.  even saw one outside camden last year. 

they are fish eaters but will eat carrion, and i think small mammals and maybe other birds like ducks and geese.

there's been a nesting pair in the camden area believe it or not and at least a couple other pairs to the north and south on the pennsy side of the river.

in nj they are still listed as endangered during the breeding season, but have been dialed backed to threatened the rest of the year. 

Posted (edited)

I know of two nesting areas.  I see a pair nearly every morning on my drive to work.  They have been at this spot for several years.  Big cell phone tower along a busy road.  Most people I assume have no clue. The other is on an island in a river.  Saw them there this spring and summer. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

3 hours ago, rocco said:

you guys seem to have this pretty well covered.

are these 2017 numbers? i haven't seen them yet. i know 2016 was 150 active nests, with about 172 nests having at least territorial pairs of birds present. to my knowledge we haven't had over 200 nesting pairs in my lifetime (47 years).

My mistake. I recall glancing at a recent report and seeing close to 200 territorial pairs I suppose. 

Finally saw my first Jersey Baldy this summer on the Delaware river. It flew up an kicked a full grown Red Tailed hawk off the branch. Dwarfed it like a baby. Amazing creatures and I'm glad to see them back on the rise. Sh*tty cell phone camera

20170827_185247.jpg

45 mins ago, JerseySwells said:

My mistake. I recall glancing at a recent report and seeing close to 200 territorial pairs I suppose. 

ah, no worries. you may have been thinking about fledglings, which i think was somewhere over 200 :th: 

New Jersey Fish and Wildlife publishes an annual report. It's on their website and a good read if you are interested. Things are definitely looking up, but still a long way to go before we can consider the bald eagle "common". The reports from the past 20 years can be found here: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/raptor_info.htm 

Here's the summary paragraph from 2016: 

Summary The Division of Fish and Wildlife’s Endangered and Nongame Species Program (ENSP) biologists, Conserve Wildlife Foundation (CWF) staff, and volunteer observers located and monitored bald eagle nests and territories. One hundred seventy-two nest sites were monitored during the nesting season, of which 150 were documented to be active (with eggs) and twentytwo were territorial or housekeeping pairs. Fifteen new eagle pairs were found this season, twelve in the south, three in central NJ. One hundred thirty-two nests (88%) of the 150 knownoutcome nests produced 216 young, for a productivity rate of 1.44 young per active and knownoutcome nest. Twenty (12%) nests failed to fledge young. The Delaware Bay region remained the state’s eagle stronghold, with 47% of nests located in Cumberland and Salem counties, and the bay side of Cape May County. The state’s eagle population would not be thriving without the efforts of the dedicated eagle volunteers who observe nests, report sightings, and help protect critical habitat.

I have seen a few this year flying high near the Shrewsbury, but Tuesday I saw something I never thought I would see in NJ.  First noticed two circling fairly low and as i watched more came into view until there was a total of eight flying above me.  Two sets of four.  All screeching back and forth to each other.  It was quiet so you could hear them perfectly.  By the time i got my camera they were really high and the pictures didn't show much.  

Saw another pair of eagles yesterday perched in a tree.  Was not that close to the water. Amazing how many more there are this year.  I saw one in the last 10 years until this year, and now see them every couple of weeks. #flyeaglesfly

I saw my first bald eagles this year at lake Areoflex. I was in disbelief as it flew past me. "Was that a bald eagle!?" Thankfully i was on a boat and able to get closer. It definitely was and there was another on the lake that day. I was hoping to see some divebombing but none happend. 

20170910_075521.jpg

On 11/30/2017 at 8:41 PM, Pleco said:

At least two nesting pair along the Raritan River in Somerset County.

Here's the report  -->   2016 NJ Bald Eagle Report

I live on the South Branch of the Raritan in Somerset county and routinely see them, at least once or twice a month, sometime up very close, other times they are just cruising up high. On a recent canoe trip down the Delaware River above the gap we saw multiple pairs. It is awesome to see so many around these days :th: . 

Alan

Alan, one nest is near Raritan somewhere on the Duke Estate, maybe they're the ones you see. The other nest is on Cyanamid/Pfizer property upstream a mile or so from Bound Brook and is easily seen from the canal towpath. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Pleco said:

Alan, one nest is near Raritan somewhere on the Duke Estate, maybe they're the ones you see. The other nest is on Cyanamid/Pfizer property upstream a mile or so from Bound Brook and is easily seen from the canal towpath. 

I saw one down by the higland park/new brunswick area when peanut bunker were upstream. At 1st I was thinking it was after the peanuts that were in the area but thinking back on it, probably it was hunting the gulls. There were HUUuge flocks of gulls down there this fall.

20171027_135640.jpg

Edited by Frugal Fisherman