Tanersahin01

worst fishing season ever?

102 posts in this topic

Pretty awful season for me. 

All short bass from the surf. No blues. 

Only thing that saved it somewhat for me were the albies. 

1 hour ago, Danny1199 said:

Pretty awful season for me. 

All short bass from the surf. No blues. 

Only thing that saved it somewhat for me were the albies. 

Same here, I wish I would have chased the Albies around a lot more this season. If I knew it was gonna be dinkville all of November and December I would have. I did have a couple good nights in late October with some nice Bass, and I thought it was going to be a really good season based on how it started for me.

And I never saw a Bluefish either.....

Honestly, yeah, this has been my worst year since I start fishing. I have literally caught two fish and foul hooked another in the entire year. Still beats working, though.

What was VERY weird about this horrible fall season, to me anyway, was the abundance of bait in close. Usually that means fish, bigger fish, in close with them. 

It just didn't happen, at least when I was out. There were a bunch of times I saw tons of peanuts in close, right on the lip, moving south, with nothing on them except rats. For some reason, the bigger bass, including bluefish, just never showed up in close. I'd have expected that if I didn't see the bait in close...

I had some decent bluefish action in the beginning of the year and that was it.  Striped bass fishing from the surf only produced schoolie stripers for me.  Closest to a keeper was about 20".  Albies were the highlight of my season.

19 mins ago, xjclint said:

For NJ, yep. For MA, no. I have 600+ fish this year with 1/5 being legal and broke my PB 5 times. I will take it.

what about areas inbetween.  Sounds like  RI and CT had tough seasons. 

I'm around 20 some bass this fall which is just a couple hundred less than last fall. 

26 mins ago, xjclint said:

For NJ, yep. For MA, no. I have 600+ fish this year with 1/5 being legal and broke my PB 5 times. I will take it.

Excellent!

The fall was very rough only had a few nights with some quality fish for the rest it was all dinks..i just keep telling myself its better than getting skunked but would like to see quality fish showing up

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

what about areas inbetween.  Sounds like  RI and CT had tough seasons. 

I'm around 20 some bass this fall which is just a couple hundred less than last fall. 

Reading through the MA Regional forum a few months ago it sounded like they had one of the best years in a while in the Canal this year.  Read some posts where people speculated it had something to do with bluefish not moving in and dispersing the bait allowing bass to just hang out there coming in and out with the tides to feed or something.

Never fished there or know any of the specifics but it sounded like there were at least a few weeks where it was like clock work at certain spots and people were picking up 30+ on a regular basis.  Didn't think to make a road trip up that way as I thought we would get some of that action down here but that certainly wasn't the case for me at least.  It's been dink city for me too this fall.

Edited by Juanma25

1 min ago, Juanma25 said:

Reading through the MA Regional forum a few months ago it sounded like they had one of the best years in a while in the Canal this year.  Read some posts where people speculated it had something to do with bluefish not moving in and dispersing the bait allowing bass to just hang out there coming in and out with the tides to feed or something.

Never fished there or know any of the specifics but it sounded like there were at least a few weeks where it was like clock work at certain spots and people were picking up 30+ on a regular basis.  Didn't think to make a road trip up that way as I thought we would get some of that action down here but that certainly wasn't the case for me at least.  It's been dink city for me too this fall.

It was 7 weeks long, and I averaged 20 fish a trip over 40". One day I had 35 fish in 4 hours over 40" (ever single one was 40"+) and a few 44-45" mixed in. I was only limited by the amount of time it took to reel them in as it was a fish on every cast.

Absolute bloodbath though and one of the reasons the stock is crashing fast.