Tanersahin01

worst fishing season ever?

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

has anyone else noticed how bad the saltwater fishing has been in 2017 or is it just me. no spring stripers, no mullet run, and the fall run so far has been awful. just me having these results?

Edited by Tanersahin01

Posted (edited)

Ive been wanting to get into this topic now that that 2017 is a month from ending. Def want to hear from other guys. If I had to rank this season on 1-10 Id give it a 5. Pretty terrible overall with a few bright spots. I spent 60% of my year surf fishing, 40% from boat. I thought the spring striper run was terrible. Interrupted by one of the worst rainy stretches in recent memory. The gator blues were hit or miss, and most of my success was in local rivers on overcast days which was a blast. Summer fluking was dreadful. Decent numbers, but a 50:1 short to keeper ratio. Albi season was solid and thats one of the things keeping me from not declaring the entire year a dud. Fall striper season, although not totally over has really underwhelmed. Ive gotten into a good number of fish, but the quality just isnt there. Not one fish over 30 inches the entire fall. 

Cant stress enough how bluefish saved my year. Yes, at times they can tear up tackle, and can be an annoyance when you are targeting bass, but they were the savior this season. i caught more 3-5 blues off land in Raritan bay than I have in years. All on topwater making for a great strike and fun fight. This year was def a learning experience. Def made me think outside the box when I wondered where the hell the fish were. Looking forward to making something happen these last few weeks...than its onto preparing for 2018. 

Edited by joefishnj21

Down here in South Jersey.....................N A D A !!!

I think the people "in charge" had better start paying attention to fishing stocks............as a whole, never seen it this bad across the board !

this is one of the worst years for me also, not only have I not caught but due to circumstances I have not been able to fish as much as I like and not going is almost as bad as not catch. The last few years the surf fishing in SJ has really been very slow

Posted (edited)

I had a great spring run this year from the surf with a lot of 30+ inchers but your right this fall has been a massive amount of shorts but my perspective is stripers are thriving at a size that cant be kept and the larger ones arent easy to pin point this fall

also on a side not i also ran into tons of jumbl blues this spring they seem to be non existent this fall whats up with that!!???!!

Edited by Deaone123

Boat guys have been winning the fish this year.   But i will also echo that spring blues saved my season.  

1 hour ago, Deaone123 said:

I had a great spring run this year from the surf with a lot of 30+ inchers but your right this fall has been a massive amount of shorts but my perspective is stripers are thriving at a size that cant be kept and the larger ones arent easy to pin point this fall

also on a side not i also ran into tons of jumbl blues this spring they seem to be non existent this fall whats up with that!!???!!

I was hoping we would see some blues i was having a blast with them in the spring since i couldn’t seem to get stripes off the surf

Down size.  I always fished with a 11 ft Lami M or L  tons of bass this year 28 to 34 in. I went out and got a 9 ft 10 ft L rod. Catching a 30 in. Bass was so much fun. There are tons of small bass this year. We just have to wait till they get big. Happen in the late 70 & early 80s we had no bass. Then I'm the late 90s we had big bass again. 

8 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Down here in South Jersey.....................N A D A !!!

I think the people "in charge" had better start paying attention to fishing stocks............as a whole, never seen it this bad across the board !

they are paying attention, nj just decides to ignore it and do what they want.

The only consistent fishing I saw this year was in the spring in the back. Blues and bass to 15lbs on top water, like clock work before every storm. This fall has sucked for any bass bigger then 24”. 

The fishing in NJ is the worst I have seen the past 5 years!! I put a lot of time in, especially in the fall. I see my share of fish, large and small, but year is the absolutely horrible. It’s nothing like it was years ago. As expected, most of the online reports that I read differ from  the reality that I see as I cruise many south Jersey beaches, talking to many other fisherman. This year, very little bait, bluefish are scarce, stripers are all short.

Its a real shame when most of the annual surf fishing tournaments are won by how many sundials are caught. 

Spring was good for bluefish, bass were there but not in good numbers. First wave completely skipped the bottom of the state and what didn't help was the pumping of sand on almost every beach in CmC. Summer flounder was not happening for me this year, couple of keepers but caught way less fish than last year. Fall has been a total joke. 

I think most guys that have been fishing at least a couple decades would tell you this is the worst fall striper (surf) run in many years in NJ.  
Less fish & less structure.