atv223

What rod for a Avet SX 5.3?

11 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about buying my first conventional and making it an Avet SX 5.3, but I have not idea what rod to put it on.  Since it's my first setup like this, I'd like it to be somewhat general purpose, but I'll primarily use it for vertical jigging and trolling.

What do you think?

I have it paired with the Shimano Trevala TVC66MH which is a very common combo.

I use it mostly for trolling the tube&worm, but it’s great for jigging as well.

This is perhaps the premier kayak setup for trolling and jigging.

5 hours ago, atv223 said:

I'm thinking about buying my first conventional and making it an Avet SX 5.3, but I have not idea what rod to put it on.  Since it's my first setup like this, I'd like it to be somewhat general purpose, but I'll primarily use it for vertical jigging and trolling.

What do you think?

What are you vertical jigging for? 

37 mins ago, atv223 said:

I hoping this to be a tog and sea bass setup, mostly.

Among the short, light, composite jigging rods...the Shimano Trevala "S" series is by now a modern classic. The ML is imo the most versatile rod in that lineup for conventional. Daiwa Proteus SS is a similar rod, and Jigging world has a couple of similar style "slow pitch" rods for around the same money. The only problem with these rods are the long handles; they are designed to whip a jig from a standing position. I've modified a couple of Trevala S rods by removing 6 inches from the butt, but you might not want to cut a new stick. They also won't cast very far, and their tapers are all mod/mod-fast, which is fine for jigging/trolling. 

Just curious: why did you decide on the Avet? it's a pretty heavy reel at 14oz...imo you'll be much better served by a big low profile reel like the Tranx or Lexa 300, esp if you're going to jig all day. That Tranx 300 is one sweet reel lol, and it can easily do double duty as a plugging reel. 

Tsunami Slow Pitch is nice jigging rod, price around 100 bucks. grip a little long for casting from yak but doable. slim wave is nice also.

Tsunami Slow Pitch, but you might want to think bout a low-profile reel like Daiwa Lexa 300-WN, I have 4 of them and they are great, and similar in price and much easier to use I hardly ever use my Avets anymore, maybe for Blackfishing off a headbeat. Just my opinion!

I think there is a time and place for many different reels in kayak fishing. I employ the the same reel for livelining and chunking bunker. That said in like to use  a 7ft rod with good hook setting power. I personally use a star plasma MH 15-30lb rod. Don't have the exact model but the description will put you in the right direction 

On 11/26/2017 at 8:46 PM, Racerx919 said:

I have it paired with the Shimano Trevala TVC66MH

X2