Otshawytsha

Should My Line Roller Be Perpendicular to Top Top of Spool?

21 posts in this topic

I just seen that its only a few weeks old sorry . 

On 2/23/2018 at 4:00 AM, Otshawytsha said:

Tony, When you say the wire you mean the bail wire? Where should I bend it? 

I did take out the line roller screw and fussed a bit with the whole thing just lifting the bail wire as I screwed it back in and there wasn't a notable change. 

I went to the tackle shop and looked at a few Battle II 5000 that are on combos and to my eye their line rollers looked vertically oriented or parallel to the main shaft. 

I have attached a few more photos including one showing how the line roller and bail are angled a bit in relation to the main shaft. 

RP 00002.jpg

RP 00003_01.jpg

RP 00004_01.jpg

Look at the #11 post, picture #3 and the post that stops the bail wire....if it was built up just a tad the bail wire would not rotate as far and therefore allow the line roller to sit at different angle. Have see this before in reels as this sometimes is caused by wear on that post or was not made right to begin with. If it were me, I probably would send it back to Penn with a note as to the problem, or a small amount of JB weld in front of the post to stop the bail wire earlier in its return, thus allowing the roller to sit at correct position. Would have to experiment with an object placed in that area first to get the correct position of line roller, before placing a permanent bond to the area. Can be kinda tricky, but probably fixed, but like I said, I would let Penn take care of it if were me. 

5 hours ago, whitey said:

If you put tension on the line does it make it line up better ? Like your tring to check your drag . If it stays the same i would think either that little tit on the bail arm is in the wrong spot or what that bolts to is off in machining . I think its called the rotor . That being said there isn't a build up of crap were that bolts on stopping it from traveling all the way back ?

Thanks Whitey. I hadn't thought of checking for something preventing it from travelling all the way back. I'll check later today. Good idea. 

5 hours ago, Waydown said:

Look at the #11 post, picture #3 and the post that stops the bail wire....if it was built up just a tad the bail wire would not rotate as far and therefore allow the line roller to sit at different angle. Have see this before in reels as this sometimes is caused by wear on that post or was not made right to begin with. If it were me, I probably would send it back to Penn with a note as to the problem, or a small amount of JB weld in front of the post to stop the bail wire earlier in its return, thus allowing the roller to sit at correct position. Would have to experiment with an object placed in that area first to get the correct position of line roller, before placing a permanent bond to the area. Can be kinda tricky, but probably fixed, but like I said, I would let Penn take care of it if were me. 

Thanks waydown. It's hard to communicate these things in words and even images but you have put your finger on it. Those are good ideas. I will probably follow your idea to mail it as Tony seems amenable to taking a look at it. 

No brainer since only few weeks old...you bought a new reel and probably a defect in that part. Have you other Battles to compare position of line rollers? The off angle of the roller probably has effect on the line lay, will have effect on how the line roller wears over time (line not running in center of roller), and the line buildup on the spool goes like this....by adding shims (washers) will take line off front of spool and by less shims (washers) will take line off back of spool....have to experiment by adding or subtracting shims till you get a level line lay on spool and this will increase improvement in casts and cut down on wind knots. Too much line, especially light braid, on either end of spool...not a level lay...causes all kinds headaches with wind knots. You can waste a whole lot of line messing with these knots.