Otshawytsha

Should My Line Roller Be Perpendicular to Top Top of Spool?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is a Battle II 4000, a few weeks old. I'm noticing that the line roller, when the bail is closed, is not perpendicular to the top of my spool. By perpendicular I mean when you hold the reel level, with the spool horizontal, the line roller isn't on the vertical line. It's a few degrees to the left of vertical. 

As a consequence, the line coming off the spool and through the line roller is not parallel to the line roller--it goes across the roller at a slight angle too. 

I don't see how this can happen because the orientation of the line roller seems determined by the mold they would make the rotor assembly in.

So I'm wondering if it's right?

Note: due to line lay issues, I added the larger supplied washer with the reel to the place it's supposed to go under the bearing. Is it possible that I have. 

I notice that the way the line roller rotates it raises the bottom of the line roller up a bit higher than it would if it stopped at the vertical. And I have some line lay issues--have a bit of of taper at the bottom that I don't like, bit of a bulge above the bottom. 

Thanks for any reassurance on this issue.   

Edited by Otshawytsha

Finally getting around to this as fishing season rolls around. Sorry for not posting sooner. 

To me it looks like the bail is over rotating past the point where the line roller guide ought to be. You can see the line doesn't line up with the roller but is at a slight angle to it. 

I'm having a problem with getting correct line lay. Have tried the washers included with the reel. Hasn't helped. 

Kind of feel like if the bail didn't rotate as far, the line would lay lower down on the reel, perhaps solving that problem. 

But I don't know reels so would appreciate your help! Thanks in advance. 

RP 00001_01.jpg

RP 00002_01.jpg

I don't get it. Why does the line roller position have anything to do with when the line coming off the spool? Unless you mean the spool itself is angled ?

Because the way the line roller is angled the line will never reach the top of the spool unless he takes a shim out which might might cause the same gap on the bottom. It does look a little bottom heavy. Try removing half a shim and see if it improves.

3 hours ago, faithless said:

Because the way the line roller is angled the line will never reach the top of the spool unless he takes a shim out which might might cause the same gap on the bottom. It does look a little bottom heavy. Try removing half a shim and see if it improves.

What he said and put some more line on the spool, looks under filled.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It might be hard to see but there is actually a gap at the bottom of the spool as well as the top of the spool. The line sort of has a bulge in the middle    

10 hours ago, faithless said:

This is right. I tried with two thin shims under the spool I still had a gap at the bottom and the spool was top heavy. Took off one of the thin ones and added the thick one Penn includes in the reel box. I still have a gap at the bottom.

If I took the spool off so you could see the shaft you would see the same deal with the line roller angle. It's at the same angle. So I don't think the problem is the spool sitting unevenly.

If the bail didn't rotate so far down, the line roller would be more vertical, and that would put the bottom of the roller farther down on the spool. Thus it would lay line farther down the spool. 

Given that the line is coming out of the line roller at that odd angle it makes me think something is wrong with the angle of the whole bail assembly--seems to be rotating too far. 

Hopefully Tony can advise when he visits the site next.  

Edited by Otshawytsha

On 2/14/2018 at 11:14 PM, Otshawytsha said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. It might be hard to see but there is actually a gap at the bottom of the spool as well as the top of the spool. The line sort of has a bulge in the middle    

What you have is actually a subtle hour glass profile. 

Have you tried different brand/heavier braids?

It does look like its angled down slightly, try removing the line roller screw and re-adjusting the wire up and tighten the screw back up.

tony