Sir fisher guy

Sea bass jigging question

120 posts in this topic

Thank you. To share.  See pic.  Right two are shallower water options I recommend.  Left one the line is tied or clipped, like the string, to the same eye as tube or teaser.  Ever tried that?  

IYO what is best tin to get hit on the flutter, drop?  

D4B54574-1E14-4F37-B111-B7FE62137914.jpeg

I really don’t know.

I know the Norwegian jigs are made to work on the drop.

My go to has always been the hammered diamond jig. I prefer using a siwash bucktail in white with red thread.

While I know this jig is very effective when squided, I have caught a lot of fish on the drop with it.  Specifically tuna, sea bass and blues.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:45 AM, Redsails said:

Thank you. To share.  See pic.  Right two are shallower water options I recommend.  Left one the line is tied or clipped, like the string, to the same eye as tube or teaser.  Ever tried that?  

IYO what is best tin to get hit on the flutter, drop?  

D4B54574-1E14-4F37-B111-B7FE62137914.jpeg

Is it sea bass jigging time:):)

I’ll be on a boat May 15th fo sho. I’m thinking maybe the Paramount because they are offering the longest trip. Might even see some cod!

Black Sea Bass rules changes effective

May 6, 2018

2018 Recreational Fishing Regulations for Black Sea Bass Changed
1139334e-15c2-4457-b505-a68012f70cdc.jpg
S.gif
S.gif S.gif

The ASMFC has approved revised 2018 recreational measures for the states of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York.
The new regulations are as follows......

RHODE ISLAND
Minimum size: 15 inches
Open Season
June 24 to Aug 31: 3 fish/day
Sept 1 to Dec 31: 7 fish/day

CONNECTICUT
Open Season
May 19 to Dec 31: 5 fish/day

MASSACHUSETTS
Open Season
May 19 to Sept 12: 5 fish/day

59 mins ago, codfish said:

Black Sea Bass rules changes effective

May 6, 2018

2018 Recreational Fishing Regulations for Black Sea Bass Changed
1139334e-15c2-4457-b505-a68012f70cdc.jpg
S.gif
S.gif S.gif

The ASMFC has approved revised 2018 recreational measures for the states of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York.
The new regulations are as follows......

RHODE ISLAND
Open Season
June 24 to Aug 31: 3 fish/day
Sept 1 to Dec 31: 7 fish/day

CONNECTICUT
Open Season
May 19 to Dec 31: 5 fish/day

MASSACHUSETTS
Open Season
May 19 to Sept 12: 5 fish/day

If you want seabass jigging in the spring, go to Hyannis, MA for fine seabass jigging in shallow water. Any light jigs in 2 - 5 oz work fine.  You catch them along with big scup.

Commercial

Black sea bass (2) Weirs Jan 01 - Dec 31 12 in.  no daily limit
  All gears except weirs Jan 01 - Mar 31 12 in. 100 lb.
  Spring Trawl Fishery Apr 23 - Jun 9 12 in 50 lb.
  Fish pots Jul 10 - quota dep. 12 in. 300 lb.
  Hook & line Jul 10 - quota dep. 12 in. 200 lb.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:10 PM, codfish said:

Ok took a pic for you here are the two 2.5 oz and 4.5 oz we use commercial black sea bass and commercial striper fishing "used to use Ava 27 jigs" the big tip is use the head on the diamond jig that is hook down Not hook up, "hook up snags to much" Goosehummock tackle shop in Orleans has them, tough to get during commercial bass season, bodies are 7.5 inches long, its the same lure as the video from pg 1

PB280384.JPG

Just ordered a bunch of these jigs from these guys, never been to the shop, they don't know me from a hole wall. They threw in a bunch of free stuff in the box and the shipping was super fast.  THANK YOU and hat's off!

Support you local tackle shop!!

On 5/7/2018 at 4:39 PM, Cpalms said:

Just ordered a bunch of these jigs from these guys, never been to the shop, they don't know me from a hole wall. They threw in a bunch of free stuff in the box and the shipping was super fast.  THANK YOU and hat's off!

Support you local tackle shop!!

You wont get that customer service from Bass Pro??

Id rather catch stripers but I’d much rather go for sea bass. Same with blues.

I went for sea bass yesterday. The first drop I felt a bump, set the hook and reeled in a short. That was at 640 am. I did not get so much as a nibble for the rest of the day. NOT A SINGLE BITE. NOT ONE!!! I fished clam all day. 

In truth, I have only myself to blame.

I decided to fish with a boat that hardly ever bottom fishes. And more importantly, I made the mistake of taking the corner of the stern on a 125’ boat that I should have known was going to fish smaller lumps. I like that spot for jigging. If we were fishing very large wreck it would have been alright. But we didn’t and it wasn’t.

Literally like ten keepers on the boat. Harldly even any junk fish came over the rail. Worst trip in recent memory....

19 hours ago, Sir fisher guy said:

I went for sea bass yesterday. The first drop I felt a bump, set the hook and reeled in a short. That was at 640 am. I did not get so much as a nibble for the rest of the day. NOT A SINGLE BITE. NOT ONE!!! I fished clam all day. 

I decided to fish with a boat that hardly ever bottom fishes. And more importantly, I made the mistake of taking the corner of the stern on a 125’ boat that I should have known was going to fish smaller lumps. I like that spot for jigging. If we were fishing very large wreck it would have been alright. But we didn’t and it wasn’t.

Literally like ten keepers on the boat. Harldly even any junk fish came over the rail. Worst trip in recent memory....

Is it spot burning if I ask "where not to fish?"

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 0:28 PM, Sir fisher guy said:

I was on that trip - certainly the slowest sea bass trip I've ever been on. Caught a fluke waiting to launch and then didn't get a single bite until the final spot, 9 or 10 hours later. Luckily it was a keeper. I used mostly clam, jigged occasionally.