Sir fisher guy

Sea bass jigging question

98 posts in this topic

One recommendation I haven't seen is to add some scent to the jig. I've used a smelly jelly in bunker flavor on my jigs with good success for black sea bass, not to mention SB and blues. Try it jigging between 2 bait soakers and see what happens! Tight lines, and Merry Christmas guys! 

I’ve experimented with smelly jelly on the trip that prompted me to start this post. I didn’t notice any difference between jigs with or without but I won’t rule out its effectiveness for certain scenarios or species.

15F5EFE3-6F01-46FF-A8E4-209AE7D0B6AC.jpeg

Ahhh, smelly jelly.  Be prepared to have your wife lock you in Grandpa's outhouse for a week, once she catches scent of the stuff.  

Before the latest winter storm, the fisheries managers were supposed to decide if they were going to open sea bass for February on Jan 4th. They rescheduled the meeting for Jan 11. So, maybe.

i can tell you that it is supposedly very good this time of year....

No supposedly about it.  When it was open in the winter, you could load up on giant fatties very easily.  

I’ll be out the first weekend of February if it opens...

Hey KenY,

Do you think will there be a lot of cod in the mix? I’ll more than likely be sailing out of point Pleasant on the voyager, not really sure where they’ll head. 

I think I remember someone had posted that in early winter the boats fish big wrecks and later they switch to large rocky areas.

anyone know about nj sea bass for February?

Posted (edited)

Chances are SB will remain closed during winter fishery . Most are not in favor of losing several weeks during spring / summer season , if they added several weeks in winter .

The fall fishery this year was outstanding , & the winter months especially when open were outstanding until pressure on offshore grounds reduced size n catch about 8-10 yrs ago .

That fishery out of CM was really strong for several years . Now out east gets my attention .

Jigging with gulp was very good at times , best jigs 6-9 oz gold ! U could jig but squidding works much better at times , add bucktail teaser w/ squid , grabs some bigger knuckle heads . 

Edited by Capt. Lou