Sir fisher guy

Sea bass jigging question

120 posts in this topic

I just bought 4 - 1/2 oz Bill Hurley jig heads and 8 - 7” tails in olive/white. I believe that is what is in that pic. How would you guys join that to my Ava? XL split ring?

this is what I got:

70F42A28-FBCC-4672-AA66-3CFF80F398B1.png

I got an email this morning from Bill Hurley. It reads:

“With your order I will include the diamond jig with an 80lb snap and also the correct size 7.5inch bodies for the jig head, my present to you happy holiday, Bill”

Thanks a lot Bill, can’t wait to try it out!

On 11/25/2017 at 7:57 PM, Sir fisher guy said:

I’ve been on two offshore sea bass trips this’s  year, armed with my new jigging world black widow 150 rod and my new Saragosa 6000 and I’ve done no bait fishing, only jigging. I’ve used only 8 and 6 ounce hammered diamond jigs, both with a 5/0 vmc siwash buck tail. No teaser, no squid strip. Just the jig.

Ive casted out and snapped it back as well as brought it back gently, as if I were tending a sinker. Ive gently wiggled it just above the bottom. Ive done short snaps just above the bottom, letting it flutter down, with just enough contact to detect a strike. And l have squidded. Everything worked. I really had a blast catching tons of sea bass, almost non-stop on both trips. And even some porgies.

Here’s  my question:

Almost all all the fish I caught were less than keeper size or just barely keeper size. No big fish. There wasn’t tons of big fish coming up on either trip, but I would say my jig caught fish were definitely not “larger on average” like I was led to believe by using a jig. 

Now I didn’t get a lot of really small fish like bait guys did, but the bait guys on both sides of me would get the occasional 16 or 17 inch fish but I never did.

Is there something I should be doing a little different to get a “bigger fish on average than the bait guys” like  I read like twenty times on the internet?

Is it sort of an overstatement that jigs will produce bigger fish than bait???

-Paul

p.s. This is my first post. I appreciate all of you who have contributed to this and other forums, I’ve spent countless hours pouring over them.

"Is there something I should be doing a little different to get a “bigger fish on average than the bait guys” like  I read like twenty times on the internet?

Is it sort of an overstatement that jigs will produce bigger fish than bait???"

how is the sea bass jigging going??

I went this past Saturday. I jigged a limit of jumbos. My biggest was 23”. I have to say that the recommendation by codfish was spot on. 

There was a lot of current so I switched the smaller Ava with an 8 oz and later to a 6 oz.

On this particular trip the bluefish were around from start to finish. I had at least 20 tails get bit off, but they never slipped off the hook, which is what I was really concerned about.

The Bill Hurley sandeel is awesome. I caught twice as many bass as the other guys jigging. I just put another order in for Block island next month.

thanks codfish

At least the shark was nice enough to share the Bass with you.

Probably could have swallowed the fish whole, and spooled you...

13 hours ago, Sir fisher guy said:

It got attacked on the way up by a huge shark.... it looked 400 lbs or better imo 

400 that's one big shark

Admittedly, I didn’t get a great look because it didn’t come all the way to the surface but it was very large. It was a shock to see the it materialize below me.