Sir fisher guy

Sea bass jigging question

120 posts in this topic

25 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Sir Fisher Guy, the second part of my answer was entirely a joke.  I haven't actually hooked any Mob execution victims.

Oh, I see you still alive? 

Glad to know you doing o.k.

Heard same russians asking about you! :help:

I had a great fishing trip two years ago with a bunch of Russians, on the Starstream VII out of Freeport.  Save that story for another thread. 

2 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I had a great fishing trip two years ago with a bunch of Russians, on the Starstream VII out of Freeport.  Save that story for another thread. 

Can’t wait to hear that. :)

Well .... since you ask .....

Seabass trip, deep water. I was next to a party of six Russians, one or two of whom didn't have a lot of English yet. I helped out one older gent with some tackle problem (I forget what). When the boat pulled the hook to move, a vodka bottle came out, with paper cups, and I was included. I recalled the word (spelling is approximate) "Nastroviya!" (to your health) but I've never heard it pronounced, so when I said it, they howled. 

The mates were ready to put them over the side of the boat, as soon as the boat slowed, they had their lines down. Good fishermen, all, and serious drinkers who were in absolute control. Each time the boat moved, the bottle went around, but no more then one shot per stop; nobody got intoxicated, nobody got silly.  They argued like siblings, and perhaps some of them were, mostly in Russian.  Jolly good company, I'd be happy to share a rail with them again.  

Are you seriously?

No one got totally drank, they didn’t start singing and fighting each other?

Oh God Almighty, The End of the World is coming!

Until then “Zaz darovje”.

Mircopolo, no song, no fights; they were disciplined drinkers and equally unyielding in ignoring the mate's instructions. Perfectly competent anglers. 

On 11/25/2017 at 10:57 PM, Sir fisher guy said:

I’ve been on two offshore sea bass trips this’s  year, armed with my new jigging world black widow 150 rod and my new Saragosa 6000 and I’ve done no bait fishing, only jigging. I’ve used only 8 and 6 ounce hammered diamond jigs, both with a 5/0 vmc siwash buck tail. No teaser, no squid strip. Just the jig.

Ive casted out and snapped it back as well as brought it back gently, as if I were tending a sinker. Ive gently wiggled it just above the bottom. Ive done short snaps just above the bottom, letting it flutter down, with just enough contact to detect a strike. And l have squidded. Everything worked. I really had a blast catching tons of sea bass, almost non-stop on both trips. And even some porgies.

Here’s  my question:

Almost all all the fish I caught were less than keeper size or just barely keeper size. No big fish. There wasn’t tons of big fish coming up on either trip, but I would say my jig caught fish were definitely not “larger on average” like I was led to believe by using a jig. 

Now I didn’t get a lot of really small fish like bait guys did, but the bait guys on both sides of me would get the occasional 16 or 17 inch fish but I never did.

Is there something I should be doing a little different to get a “bigger fish on average than the bait guys” like  I read like twenty times on the internet?

Is it sort of an overstatement that jigs will produce bigger fish than bait???

-Paul

p.s. This is my first post. I appreciate all of you who have contributed to this and other forums, I’ve spent countless hours pouring over them.

My poor advice is watch John Skinners How to jig for fluke with a high/low rig and gulp.  I caught my first 5 LB sea bass with that method.  Good luck

I’ve seen that video and copied his technique many times. It’s a great video.

I think the thing I can’t get around is how aggressive small bass were towards my jig.

How is a jig supposed to catch the largest fish when tons of 10 and 11 inch fish are pounding it almost immediately upon jigging?

I have to say I’m most looking forward to trying the sandeel on a diamond jig. In this video, see how it flutters down. It’s at 1:20. If I had gills I’d be all over that.

The only thing that I wonder about is how many of those plastic sandeels I’d go through in a single trip... I’m guessing a lot.

The problem with diamond jigging for sea bass is diamonds jigs get hung up so easily in any kind of structure.  If it is really craggy or you are on a wreck expect to lose a fair amount of tackle.  Lucanus type jigs don't do this nearly as much - or when the do get hung up you can usually jiggle a Lucanus off if you are no too scoped out.  Not so with diamond jigs.  No idea why, but that is my experience.

Posted (edited)

On 11/26/2017 at 7:58 PM, Sir fisher guy said:

Thank you for elaborating. I did a quick search and found and only found Hogy brand plastic sandeel bodies. They claim their plastic is extra soft. 

What plastic sandeel do you recommend. 

The hook on the jig should be unweighted? As in not a Jig head attached to a diamond jig? I ask because I have found it sold this way.

Ok took a pic for you here are the two 2.5 oz and 4.5 oz we use commercial black sea bass and commercial striper fishing "used to use Ava 27 jigs" the big tip is use the head on the diamond jig that is hook down Not hook up, "hook up snags to much" Goosehummock tackle shop in Orleans has them, tough to get during commercial bass season, bodies are 7.5 inches long, its the same lure as the video from pg 1

PB280384.JPG

Edited by codfish