coastalfreak

Knife Question

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks. I am new to the world of knives and have a quick question. Can skinning knives and other "hunting" knives be used for general camp chores like carving, cutting, batoning, food prep (obviously) and other just general outdoor activities? I don't see why not, just wanting to make sure. 

Posted (edited)

why not?

I am a boy scout and have done it ever since.

if I carve I prefer a small knife though.

I have monster bowies and skinners that I carry fishing and they do everything needed.

small ones work good too,,for me anyway.

HH

Edited by Roddy

2 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Hi folks. I am new to the world of knives and have a quick question. Can skinning knives and other "hunting" knives be used for general camp chores like carving, cutting, batoning, food prep (obviously) and other just general outdoor activities? I don't see why not, just wanting to make sure. 

Yes.

Won't be the best tool for all jobs... but it will work.

Do your knife a favor and don't baton it.

Before the internet I never felt like I was lacking when outdoors with a small knife (folder or sub 4" fixed blade) and a folding saw like a Sven Saw or a "What-A-Saw".

Skinning knives are made for just that, skinning. The blade shape doesn't lend well to many other chores. Many knives of different styles and sizes will work well for different jobs with some working better than others for certain chores. I use the three blade approach. A small fixed blade general purpose knife (Mora companion), a larger chopper (kukri) and a small folding saw. The Mora is the "BIC lighter" of camp knives, cheap yet well made. It will take some buttoning and they make a heavy duty which has a thicker blade but in my opinion detracts from the better qualities of the former. This knife can skin a deer, clean fish, make feather sticks, fire boards, etc. All of your general camp chores and if you brake it...what the hell,  it was only 16 bucks. The kukri does double duty. A chopper, obviously,  but it's also a great tool for clearing underbrush and trail blazing. Its even possible to make feather sticks with it if you know the technique. Something an axe or hatchet would have trouble with. The saw can't be beat when you need larger amounts of firewood or to build a heavier shelter. Even the small saw on a SAK is great for cutting notches in fire boards. Much easier than whittling them in with your fixed blade.