albacized

Very light coloration on these late season schoolies

16 posts in this topic

Anyone notice this light coloration with these colder water bass? Not bright like spring fish...more of a dull, but lighter hue. I notice it every year, but never thought to ask about it here. 

As an aside, the stripes are even slightly faded 

Just now, albacized said:

Anyone notice this light coloration with these colder water bass? Not bright like spring fish...more of a dull, but lighter hue. I notice it every year, but never thought to ask about it here. 

As an aside, the stripes are even slightly faded 

I’m finding just the opposite and actually taking pictures of all my young fish

048A3A77-217E-488C-ABF2-A55BCA9C3D4C.jpeg

0C6FF183-D632-4C53-95FA-33A2E16369B1.jpeg

DCD82BC8-7C21-4EC8-94BA-8ADA66E0BD14.jpeg

I find that a lot this time of year - especially so when the bass are running a sand beach and the water is somewhat cloudy.

I dunno, but this color adaptation to background seems to be fairly common amongst some saltwater fish species. Possibly to make them less visible to predators?

Always thought it was from running sand beaches. Not even sure why I thought it. 

i always found it is where you catch them.  Rocky bottom = darker fish most distinct lines. Sandy Bottom = lighter colored fish more light brown lines.

4 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Always thought it was from running sand beaches. Not even sure why I thought it. 

I've always thought that was it.

There were ( and probably are) always very light colored schoolies like that around and on the bars of the Back Beach, even when the fishing was poor.

My sons and me even had a name for them, the locals.

4 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

That may be the cause - because admittedly my season usually ends down along the SoCo shoreline (i.e beaches, with a few jetties)

This is recent cape fish.

Not sure if color is what you spoke of.

The canal fish this year had beautiful colors on them.

Screenshot_20171118-165442.png

Maybe their coloring is indicative as to where they've setup Summer residence before their migration home and will change to whatever  background is needed for the winter residency.   

I noticed this also. Most if not all of the fish I caught on thurs in soco were noticeably lighter, a few even had sea lice on them. Saturday the fish were darker or more typical coloring

Posted (edited)

Ton of nice schoolies today... bright white bellies, dark stripes, and purple/green backs!  Beautiful clean fish! :)

Edited by TBYRD