Striped bass Long Island

Rate this topic

Hello everybody,  

I’m an European Airline pilot and Next Tuesday I have a 22hr layover in NY. My only means of transportation are the trains from Garden City to Long Beach.  I would like to use this opportunity to do some Surf fishing for striped bass. Does anybody have some ideas or tips as I’m so limited in time ( and transport)   thx

With high SW wind on the forecast, you'll have some big wave on the beach. Dry land will be a long way off, so be prepared to get wet if you are not in waders.  I would take a uber instead, might even pay extra for the uber driver to take me to some better spots before finally setting in a location. ( google map is your friends)  Look for working bird close to the beach as bait indicator, might not always around, but if you find one group, there is a very good chance you'll find fish too.  Good luck.

This fall run on the western south shore is abysmal. Sorry to say.  On the way there is ralph tackle if you want some local intelligence. The easiest way to start is to bring a binocular and look for bird or baitfish activities that' very close to the beach since you can't cast far.  There are plenty of jetty on long beach.  look for calmer pocket of water between the jetties, that usually indicate a deeper hole, thus a more fishy area, fish around the edge of the hole. Be mindful of the current sweep left or right so your lure don't end up snagging the jetty.  If the front does not look good, there is magnolia pier in the back. Again uber.  Maybe someone local can help you out.

This is what I don't understand

Guy asks for help, clearly stated he is out of country (hey, out of continent,lol), not familiar with neighborhood,  and you are sending him on suicide mission.

Why???

If you don't want to help him than simply do not post

Lots of us, familiar with Breezy Point  jetties and rocks, do not go there because that place is not a joke even to experienced guys; one wrong move and person can be gone 100s of feet in current  and especially on night, when no-one can see you.

And, yet, you are still sending him there.

Is persons life big joke to you?

Like kicking blue fish in the water?

I hope not.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-