brady12

Live eels

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know of any places to buy live eels in southern maine near the York/Kittery/Ogunquit area?  There used to be a place Allies in York, but she is barely open and hasn't had them for about 5 years.

 

Also, is early spring a good time to fish eels?

Edited by brady12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes fish eels but not early spring, I normally wait until July when the bigger fish are around. Saco Bay Tackle has them but that's a bit of drive for you. I believe Suds and Soda in Greenland sells them, not far from York.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been pushing myself to use them earlier in the season. Typically wouldn't use till mid summer or later. Late summer into fall it's about all I use for bait. I did catch some decent 30lb fish in early June off eels this year. I will stock em as soon as I see them in shops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 4:26 PM, brady12 said:

Does anyone know of any places to buy live eels in southern maine near the York/Kittery/Ogunquit area?  There used to be a place Allies in York, but she is barely open and hasn't had them for about 5 years.

 

Also, is early spring a good time to fish eels?

Yeah Suds n Soda in Geeenland or Saco Bay Tackle, also not sure if Webhanet in wells still has them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, brady12 said:

I can usually catch mackerel from my location, are eels a better live bait in your opinion?

I would say there r better at getting you big fish. Less you float whole macs or live lining them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Webhannet does carry them...

I stand corrected. Also, just so it's known, I love that store. I'm only in ME a couple weeks per year, but I get into Webhannet at least 5 times, while there. Even rented kayaks from them.

Eels are awesome,especially since you can cast them live for an hour, or use them dead, or dead rigged....They're pretty versatile, and hardware to present them at different depths, speeds, etc., is readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How was the fishing this year for the Wells area?  I was not able to make it up there much.  Going there for Thanksgiving and I will be throwing some stuff out there..  Hopefully some nice fish for the Holiday! 

 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

 

Max

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MassMino said:

How was the fishing this year for the Wells area?  I was not able to make it up there much.  Going there for Thanksgiving and I will be throwing some stuff out there..  Hopefully some nice fish for the Holiday! 

 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

 

Max

 

Lotta little fish this year, :/ seems like they didn't make it past the canal :( a few decent fish here and there but many times it was tough to get past the little guys, a few more months and they'll be back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eels are good when you know big fish are present but otherwise won’t touch artificials. Early spring is a great time for lures. Never went to eels/rigged eels this year, no doldrums as far as I was concerned. Mac chunks by day when very sunny and clear with little waves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

Lotta little fish this year, :/ seems like they didn't make it past the canal :( a few decent fish here and there but many times it was tough to get past the little guys, a few more months and they'll be back!

Yea yea that's too bad.. kinda figured that cuz I didn't see too many 'bigger' reports or too much talk.. I did focus a lot of my trips to the canal this year being closer for me. Eh the beauty of fishing though, you never know though.have a great thanksgiving ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.