Teton 9-11 SA ??

Rate this topic

PS

Anyone got one of these and have some extended time in the surf with it ? I have one , picked it up (NIB) long ago and never used it. I'm thinking of rigging it up for next spring or if I should trade it in for something current. Any issues or weaknesses I should be considering or is it just fine for wading the beach ? I know all about sealed drags , there great but not a motivating factor for me to part with money........of course , I could be singing a different tune later :) 

Very solid reel with one possible weakness - the screw holding the handle and the two screws holding the reel foot to the reel can come loose over time.  Use a tiny bit of loctite on the opposite end of each of the three screws - where the screw tip shows through the hole.  There is a special type of loctite that isn't completely permanent that you can buy at a hardware store.  Screws can later be removed but only with a bit more force.

I guess the other issue is with the full cage design - great for spey, but sand and grit can accumulate between the cage and the spool.  May have to release the spool to soak the reel to get the sand out.  On the plus side - thin running lines work well with this type of reel.

Like Mike said, you have the reel, it's not going to do you much good if it stays"NIB".

This my friend in Sanibel, does the reel look familiar.

P1090117sol.JPG.2b817239a5e37174aa8e7fc6395bbcac.JPG

He had the same issue because he did not rinse the reel and had a very hard time getting the spool off, fortunately after two days of trying he got lucky and got it off. 

Rinse and keep the spindle lubed and the little spring to release the spool as well and you should never have an issue. The reel has a very good drag.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

Thanks Guys, sometimes I need a reality check. I have a Tioga 8 I used in the salt years ago, never had a problem and it did the job. Only failure was when we got pickled after fishing one time and I didn't wash the reel. It's that time of year, actually any time of year but I start over thinking these things, measuring arbor diameter and all the details which leads to justifying some new piece of gear. I like that piece on modifying the drag Mark, did you need any special tool to take the drag apart ? I wouldn't mind being able to do a complete service if needed. I do have other reels, a Super 9/10N sitting in front of me now, as well as a Super 8 (I like the sound) but lately I'm thinking they all are pretty much the same. They all have their good and bad points I guess.

2 mins ago, albacized said:

Wasn't Teton and Tioga somehow associated? For some reason, I recall Teton being the reel that required less care than it's lesser expensive little brother, the Tioga. I've never owned either, and just throwing that out there, out of curiosity

Yes, Tioga was the cheaper version of the Teton if memory serves.  I have 2 Teton 8-10s that I've used for years. Drag on one crapped out eventually, but there is a guy who can fix them (not sure if it's Bill Archuletta or someone else).  I'd say use the hell out of it ....

Teton and Teton Tioga are one in the same. The Tioga series was a little less money and less porting but the reel was basically the same. When they went out of business around 2001 I think the rights were bought but Teton USA making the Teton Classic only but they couldn't compete with all the off shore competition in that price range I guess. They are full cage too , that might have been a factor with the SH guys.

1 min ago, jalthoff said:

Yes, Tioga was the cheaper version of the Teton if memory serves.  I have 2 Teton 8-10s that I've used for years. Drag on one crapped out eventually, but there is a guy who can fix them (not sure if it's Bill Archuletta or someone else).  I'd say use the hell out of it ....

Bill Senecal I think it is , I have his email and he still has parts and does repairs.