It's that time of year..... Don't soak the bird!

Rate this topic

gadwall8

I'm going to wet smoke my bird. Put bird in the pan, sprinkle in a bunch of wood chips, add water until bird is covered. Boil this until the water is gone and smoke starts to rise, now put on a lid and lower the fire. Cook the thing until it is as dark as you want. Um,Um, Um.

If being stupid got us into this mess, how come being stupid can't get us out?
I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all.

19 hours ago, longcaster said:

I'm going to wet smoke my bird. Put bird in the pan, sprinkle in a bunch of wood chips, add water until bird is covered. Boil this until the water is gone and smoke starts to rise, now put on a lid and lower the fire. Cook the thing until it is as dark as you want. Um,Um, Um.

I would add some liquid smoke to the water.  Besides that great method.....

For you cooks out there. I highly recommend Flavor God. You buy it on the internets and its great. Check them out on the instagram to see some ideas that they do with it. 

Basic must have starter flavors: Everthing, everthing spicy, garlic lovers and garlic and lemon. 

Put it on your christmas list lke I do maybe. 

You will love it on everything from fish, turkeys, stuffing, burgers, eggs you name it. People won't kmow why things taste so good.

*disclaimer, no I dont have a financial interest. PSA only. :)

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

20 mins ago, PaddyCrabby said:

I would add some liquid smoke to the water.  Besides that great method.....

I was thinkin to get the modern industrial flavor to use a tablespoon full of 90 weight gear oil and the bright taste of a classic 10w-30 with another tablespoon full.

If being stupid got us into this mess, how come being stupid can't get us out?
I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:19 AM, JaseB said:

Salt is a mineral.  Pepper is an organic matter.  Salt does not burn, that's why you can bake fish in a salt dome.  Pepper burns.  It may not make a huge difference in a low and slow environment, but on a hot sear over flame or black iron skillet (preferred way to cook a steak) it most definitely will burn.   Plus, pepper is best when fresh ground just before serving.

Used to work with an old dude who grew up on a 20,000 acre beef ranch in Argentina.  Conquistador Argentinian, not indian.   To say he was serious about his carne asada is the understatement of the year.  It was 15 years ago and I can still hear him yelling, literally, yelling at me in my office  "ONLY SALT BEFORE GRILL!"  He brought me back a box of some Sal para carne asada, that has an awesome crystal structure to it that goes really well with grilled meats.  It's not kosher, not sea salt, haven't really been able to find anything like it here. Kosher does just fine.

Could you explain more about this crystal structure and how it relates to grilled meats?

Embrace American Privilege

I have been deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas for nearly 20 years, I have brined and injected sometimes done one and not the other and all have turned out moist and delicious. For the past 6 years I have deep fried one and smoked one, this year I will be smoking both turkeys since everyone has preferred the smoked one over the fried. Both are moist and flavorful but the smoked turkey just seems to be everyone's favorite. 

(*member formerly known as 'PCSilverstriper')