Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

It's that time of year..... Don't soak the bird!

56 posts in this topic

interesting. I knew pepper burnt and not to do it on pan stuff, but I never thought about it for slow roasts etc.

1 hour ago, JaseB said:

No, but try this.  Cover very liberally with kosher salt and only kosher salt the day before.  Wrap tight in saran wrap and stash in the fridge.  Cook till rare, rest then slice and add fresh cracked pepper.

The salt draws out the moisture, but b/c it is wrapped tight it basically becomes and saline solution and then osmosis draws the now salty juice back into the meat.  It totally transforms the flavor and texture of the meat.  You'll smack yourself the first time you try it.

I literally won't even cook a steak anymore unless I have done this before going to work.   But for a rib roast, give it 24 hours.

You're dropping coin on a nice piece of meat.  Leave the BBQ **** in the cabinet.

I do this with almost everything. Hangar steaks from a skillet that are better than gas grilled.

Marryin' yer first cuz been socially acceptable for most of human history, and in most cultures around the world. 

#onetogrowon

Oh, I thought that this thread was going to be about all those You Tube videos of idiots setting themselves/their deck/their shed/their house (or any combination thereof) on fire by dropping a wet bird into a deep fryer. :laugh: 

Carry on, then.

1 hour ago, JaseB said:

Salt is a mineral.  Pepper is an organic matter.  Salt does not burn, that's why you can bake fish in a salt dome.  Pepper burns.  It may not make a huge difference in a low and slow environment, but on a hot sear over flame or black iron skillet (preferred way to cook a steak) it most definitely will burn.   Plus, pepper is best when fresh ground just before serving.

Used to work with an old dude who grew up on a 20,000 acre beef ranch in Argentina.  Conquistador Argentinian, not indian.   To say he was serious about his carne asada is the understatement of the year.  It was 15 years ago and I can still hear him yelling, literally, yelling at me in my office  "ONLY SALT BEFORE GRILL!"  He brought me back a box of some Sal para carne asada, that has an awesome crystal structure to it that goes really well with grilled meats.  It's not kosher, not sea salt, haven't really been able to find anything like it here. Kosher does just fine.

Makes sense. I learned something today.

Posted (edited)

23 mins ago, fishinambition said:

I do this with almost everything. Hangar steaks from a skillet that are better than gas grilled.

Love a hangar steak.  If you can find a whole skirt steak, the whole thing, usually only at a latino/Asian market.  It is my favorite. 

Edited by JaseB

yea, I remember when they were cheap now they are some trendy cut and the price seems to be going up everytime I grab one.

Add short ribs, osso buco, spare ribs to the list of stuff that used to be great and real cheap.

Bastards.

5 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

lol. you get so excited explaining old/ well know concepts like they are new. :laugh:

Now he just needs something borrowed. 

someone is going to complain about the price of wings in  a minute :rolleyes:

now it is Halibut or Beef cheeks that are going through the roof.

Yesterday I asked the wife if she had everything she needs for the Thanksgiving dinner.

She told me yes,..... reservations are at three.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:39 AM, MikeMc said:

You cook it on the Weber?

No. I'm not smoked turkey ready yet.