turkeyless thanksgiving

Rate this topic

HugeDinghy

5 mins ago, bospa357 said:

Oh and btw Jase, that ham is making me hungry. That looks so good. :drool:

Thanks.  I'm cooking half of it for Thanksgiving.  We're going to the in-laws and I was told not to bring anything, but I just don't think I could do a Thanksgiving without some Country Ham biscuits.

For me, Holidays are about tradition.  Yes, it's the exact same food every year at my grandma then mom's then my house.  I go to my in-laws and she's trying something new every year from whatever fat broad on the cooking channel she saw last.  That, to me in blasphemy.  Families have traditions.  Generations live on and are passed down based on traditions.   I truly believe that.   I want my uncle's ham biscuits, my grandma's stuffing, mashed taters and gravy, grandma's corn pudding and then for dessert, a small slice of mom's pumpkin pie and a small slice of her pecan pie.

At Christmas, I want Grandma's homemade fudge with black walnuts, mom's cheese ball and yes, ham biscuits.   I'm not saying there is nothing ever different, some cousin will make some salad with broccoli and grapes, another will bring something else, but the core stuff is there. 

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

2 hours ago, bospa357 said:

Because the white congressman refuses to shake hands with the natives? 

He is the Governor!

2 hours ago, MikeMc said:

Well, there's that but I was thinking more along the lines of the Indian paying a tax tribute to the white man after having his land stolen. :laugh: 

I think they are paying the tax tribute to the white man because the white man let them stay on their land after they lost the war. I think it was "Bacon's Rebellion".

I like this from wikipedia:

Nathaniel Bacon arrived with a quantity of brandy; after it was distributed, he was elected leader.

1 hour ago, JaseB said:

At work?

I mean I should be in the ham business.

My folks used to stop at Edwards when they were just a wooden country general store gig. The old man would get a ham out of the case and slice off what you asked for and wrap it up. They've gone mainstream these days and the prices reflect what the market will bear. Product is still good , but I seem to remember it being better years ago. Sliced almost see-through thickness and piled on a biscuit, nutz!

5 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

blasphemy?

its only going to be me/wifes/kids, and my parents.

im giving serious thought to doing a rib roast on the smoker instead.

Turkey Porchetta

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand