Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canyondiver

Nobody Fly Fishes Anymore!

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The words from the fellow at the auction yesterday during load in.

Chucked boxes and boxes of fishing, diving, boating, cooking, and photography books right into a rolloff container.

Could not even find a school or library to take them.

It just left me scratching my head that a library any mariner or lover of fishing/watersports would love to own has gone to the dump.

I have nowhere to put them, and cant afford to store them, so wanted to get them into the hands of others who would enjoy the library.

Now we have quit fly fishing as well?

What is going on out there?

:D

Edited by canyondiver

It's not the subject material, as it is the fact that no one buys reference books anymore, it's all online.

where do you live - when I lived in MA I donated them to the next town over - Weymouth. here I've given to the Wilmington Library.

basically find a town a bit down on its luck.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Wayne Tj said:

It's not the subject material, as it is the fact that no one buys reference books anymore, it's all online.

Many of these were beautiful books, quite a few in larger format coffee table style.

There is something very different about sitting back with a good book, the feel of its pages, the scent of ink and clay.

Now we sit down with a coffee, or go to put children to bed, and the entertainment is a Kimber, or perhaps some Youtube.

At times, it seems we are trading technology for kinder traditions.

I'm as guilty as anyone!

10 hours ago, Aquacide said:

where do you live - when I lived in MA I donated them to the next town over - Weymouth. here I've given to the Wilmington Library.

Unfortunately, they have all been disposed of.

It gave me an ill feeling to just throw a couple of thousand dollars of fine books into a dumpster.

A whole French cooking library, a photography library worthy of a good advanced college program, and so on.

All gone, not even turned into BTUs, which seems a waste.

There will be a bunch of surf blanks popping up in the BST very shortly :)

Edited by canyondiver

10 hours ago, Aquacide said:

Teach those youts to catch big chubs in the Brandywine on the fly.  I did as a kid...always felt I was fishing in an African latrine

29 mins ago, canyondiver said:

There will be a bunch of surf blanks popping up in the BST very shortly :)

I will be on the lookout! :D

Hope all is well, John. It's good to see you back.

Many small tackle shops have gone the way of the dinosaur. I have seen the business change drastically over the past twelve years. True that most information can be found online but for me there was always something special about ink and paper. A good book or mag was as important as toilet paper and privacy. I'm 67 years old and that's part of the problem because most of my customers seem to be 40 and older. This great sport is or has lost it's youth because the kids just aren't taking up the flag for the sports future. When I was a kid (I hate saying that) all my friends fished. Every chance we had we were down the crick or on the river and heaven was a trip to the shore. Now I live three blocks from the ocean and two blocks from the bays and not a single kid around here fishes.    

Had to toss boxes of my dad's photography books, stuff dating back to the fifties. Not worth the effort trying to sell them.  Had to make room in my mothers apartment. Cameras, enlargers, darkroom equipment trashed as well.

I did manage to give away a Stephen King book that a friends wife got me for Christmas back in the eighties. Young Columbian girl who works the front desk at my gym, very shy but is always reading.  Said she liked King but wanted to read his earlier stuff. Book was a compilation of Carrie, Salems Lot, The Shining and Night Shift. Gave it to her last Christmas. You would have thought i gave her the latest Xbox or iPhone the way she reacted. Never see her on a phone always reading, bless her heart. :)

19 hours ago, canyondiver said:

The words from the fellow at the auction yesterday during load in.

Chucked boxes and boxes of fishing, diving, boating, cooking, and photography books right into a rolloff container.

Could not even find a school or library to take them.

It just left me scratching my head that a library any mariner or lover of fishing/watersports would love to own has gone to the dump.

I have nowhere to put them, and cant afford to store them, so wanted to get them into the hands of others who would enjoy the library.

Now we have quit fly fishing as well?

What is going on out there?

:D

WHERE YOU BEEN, PECKERWOOD!?!

12 hours ago, saltydawg said:

Teach those youts to catch big chubs in the Brandywine on the fly.  I did as a kid...always felt I was fishing in an African latrine

they cleaned it up a lot upstream, they now have 'blue ribbon' bass fishing when the water is not low.

the local fly guide teaches people to catch bass now on switch rods.

Posted (edited)

Salty, Doorgunner,

Fishing as a kid was one of the great traditions!

It was fun, gave you something to do outdoors, and kept people out of trouble.

Enough kids get lost in latchkey limbo today, and a video game is the form of entertainment.

Violence is often the game at hand, though not based in reality.

We played chess, Monopoly, and other games of strategy.

My age is certainly beginning to show at 53, and perhaps the codger is coming out at this point.

There is a wonder about whether a breakdown of societal morals has been creeping in.

Belmo,

Good to see you too!

Shaky,

Indeed, it is amazing to see how so many have a phone as a new appendage.

We go out to a restaurant in groups, just so we may text together while eating in silence.

Little,

:wave: Is that you John?

Edited by canyondiver

First of all, what up. Second of all, I would have taken some of those books off your hands.

2 hours ago, canyondiver said:

Salty, Doorgunner,

Fishing as a kid was one of the great traditions!

It was fun, gave you something to do outdoors, and kept people out of trouble.

Enough kids get lost in latchkey limbo today, and a video game is the form of entertainment.

Violence is often the game at hand, though not based in reality.

We played chess, Monopoly, and other games of strategy.

My age is certainly beginning to show at 53, and perhaps the codger is coming out at this point.

There is a wonder about whether a breakdown of societal morals has been creeping in.

Belmo,

Good to see you too!

Shaky,

Indeed, it is amazing to see how so many have a phone as a new appendage.

We go out to a restaurant in groups, just so we may text together while eating in silence.

Little,

:wave: Is that you John?

53??? You're younger than I am, kid. :D 

im not going to lie. the guys around here who seem to be having the most fun with our unavoidable invasion of small bass, are the fly guys.