bassturds

casting big baits out far at the chu

25 posts in this topic

I throw a 9' Albie setup w/epoxy jigs.casts a good dist. Get the right color,lakers will hit them.

You could try a trolley rig- folks use them in Hawaii.  Basically cast a weight out as far as possible. Then clip the live bait to the line with a snap/leader and hope it swims down towards the weight.  The weight needs to be shaped so it holds bottom and casts well.  Otherwise you're stuck with a big rod. 

8 hours ago, bassturds said:

yea im convinced that the  18lber on a kastmaster and the 24 in the basin were just freak accidents! i got zero hope for anything big on a metal close to sure. either live bait or swimbaits for them big fish out there. 
yea the average laker in there wont put up a fight on a larger gear but i want the 10lb plus fish in there!  
would just like to increase my odds of something bigger instead of the same old rat 20 inch laker. theres so much water and so much fish that havent been fished! 

Rethink your thinking bud time and place for everything.

13 hours ago, Skitter said:

Perch Mike? Any source for Fallfish or 6” shiners?

looking forward to reports!

yea i can get fallfish, perch,  pond shiners!   thinking of trying fall fish the weekend after thanksgiving! 

10 hours ago, sandbars said:

Rethink your thinking bud time and place for everything.

oh yea?  you are right about that tho. but always rat lakers on metals 

Use a flat metal jig think of the sides of a nickel should be like that all the way around. Will keep the jig closer to the bottom on a slow steady retrieve. Then talk to me in a year to see if you changed your mind. Tight lines bud

17 hours ago, sandbars said:

Use a flat metal jig think of the sides of a nickel should be like that all the way around. Will keep the jig closer to the bottom on a slow steady retrieve. Then talk to me in a year to see if you changed your mind. Tight lines bud

ok thanks man!! 

19 hours ago, sandbars said:

What kind of jig do you recommend? I meaning, where can I find one that meets your description?

1 min ago, yemista said:

What kind of jig do you recommend? I meaning, where can I find one that meets your description?

Sounds like an "Upperman" style jig also know as a "Lima Bean" jig.  Might also look at bait jigs offered by Tide Runner and Joe Baggs, the ones made for Tautog fishing.