bassturds

casting big baits out far at the chu

25 posts in this topic

wondering how to get out big dead or live bait out far for the monster lurking out there.  was thinking of taking a surf rod or a saltwater rod to get out far  with bait.  am i crazy??

also what about using a drone there to bring your bait out far. go out 200 yards with a big golden shiner drop it straight down to the bottom!!!! 

I’ve been pondering the drone thing too... probably the only way to get something big out there without resorting to surf rods.

Not sure what the laws are with that being as it’s a Rez and all but I think it’s still early enough in the drone game to still claim ignorance ;)

12 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

I’ve been pondering the drone thing too... probably the only way to get something big out there without resorting to surf rods.

Not sure what the laws are with that being as it’s a Rez and all but I think it’s still early enough in the drone game to still claim ignorance ;)

Signs all over Quabbin prohibiting drones......................

Just sayin.........

40 mins ago, b-ware said:

Signs all over Quabbin prohibiting drones......................

Just sayin.........

Lol.. there ya go then. 

If the signs are at Q they’re probably at Chu too.

1 hour ago, bassturds said:

wondering how to get out big dead or live bait out far for the monster lurking out there.  was thinking of taking a surf rod or a saltwater rod to get out far  with bait.  am i crazy??

also what about using a drone there to bring your bait out far. go out 200 yards with a big golden shiner drop it straight down to the bottom!!!! 

A 10’ rod rated 3/4 to 3 oz would be great not crazy at all Mike

A 1/2 non lead tube weight and 20” florou 8 lb test leader would be sweet

for top water you could go with a casting bobber      The type that lets you add water to...

hope u get em

36 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

Lol.. there ya go then. 

If the signs are at Q they’re probably at Chu too.

Yea, same people, same purpose...............

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, bassturds said:

live bait out far for the monster lurking out there. 

I know a guy who caught an 18lber pretty close to shore while using a 6' or 7' rod while throwing a kastmaster

The 24lber that was caught there that was the former state record was caught on four-pound test line and a one-sixth ounce Kastmaster.

So a bigger setup isn't necessarily better.

was thinking of taking a surf rod or a saltwater rod to get out far  with bait. 

I have seen a guy at the Chu who was using a canal rod. You can get that extra distance but the typical Chu laker or salmon will feel like a minnow on a big surf rod.

am i crazy??

Maybe just a little, but in a good way.  :)  ( I kid, I kid)

also what about using a drone there to bring your bait out far.  

Somebody got a couple of good drone videos but since then  they've been banned. From the state's website - "No unmanned aerial vehicles (drones)"

Edited by zak-striper

23 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I know a guy who caught an 18lber pretty close to shore while using a 6' or 7' rod while throwing a kastmaster

The 24lber that was caught there that was the former state record was caught on four-pound test line and a one-sixth ounce Kastmaster.

So a bigger setup isn't necessarily better.

I have seen a guy at the Chu who was using a canal rod. You can get that extra distance but the typical Chu laker or salmon will feel like a minnow on a big surf rod.

Maybe just a little, but in a good way.  :)  ( I kid, I kid)

Somebody got a couple of good drone videos but since then  they've been banned. From the state's website - "No unmanned aerial vehicles (drones)"

yea im convinced that the  18lber on a kastmaster and the 24 in the basin were just freak accidents! i got zero hope for anything big on a metal close to sure. either live bait or swimbaits for them big fish out there. 
yea the average laker in there wont put up a fight on a larger gear but i want the 10lb plus fish in there!  
would just like to increase my odds of something bigger instead of the same old rat 20 inch laker. theres so much water and so much fish that havent been fished! 

If you google drone and wachusett you'll find a aerial video some guy made of the eastern third of the res'y. Before he got caught that is. :cool: Most of the footage is in the off limits to fishing area, but he did get some pretty good shots of the deep channels and islands near gate 6 and 7.

The main Chu reservoir, like the Q, is considered a "no fly" zone. You will likely get paid a visit if you try to fly a drone there. :beatin:

-bd

just keep it low close to the water. what about the RC boats, attach a clip to it and let i got out with the line use a break away clip 

Lol.. before drones were a thing I had grand plans for an RC boat/ bait delivery system... either because of laziness or good sense I never followed through.

Many years ago when I moved into the Quabbin region there was a couple of local older guys who fished the Q in the early spring using fresh dead suckers as bait for lakers.  They used surf gear to wing those big baits out there.  I never fished with them but heard they usually did quite well.  

European carps rods would work very well i think.....but if u gonna fish big baits u gotta use a big rod.....no way around that......

Perch Mike? Any source for Fallfish or 6” shiners?

looking forward to reports!