Lagerhead

Trolling for stripers

30 posts in this topic

1 min ago, JoeyZac said:

 

In the picture above I am anchored.  Not burning any gas at all.

 

You said you missed those days and that 90% of your fish are trolled.  I’m not saying I’ve never trolled, I’m saying it’s the laziest form of fishing out there. Fly fishing is tough, it takes  a lot patience and skill to successfully fish large bass.

 

They’re allowed to think pluggers are meat fishing, it’s harder to hook and land the same size fish than normal plugging. Plugging takes a little bit more skill than live baiting.  Trolling takes less skill than live baiting.  It’s generally how people who have little experience get into fishing.

 

Its lazy.  I’ve done it, and I’ll probably do it again, but it’s lazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 mins ago, bbfish said:

 

You said you missed those days and that 90% of your fish are trolled.  I’m not saying I’ve never trolled, I’m saying it’s the laziest form of fishing out there. Fly fishing is tough, it takes  a lot patience and skill to successfully fish large bass.

 

They’re allowed to think pluggers are meat fishing, it’s harder to hook and land the same size fish than normal plugging. Plugging takes a little bit more skill than live baiting.  Trolling takes less skill than live baiting.  It’s generally how people who have little experience get into fishing.

 

Its lazy.  I’ve done it, and I’ll probably do it again, but it’s lazy.

 

I miss the days of anchoring up in the white water, and chunking clam and bunker right into the wash.  But we haven't had that bite since Sandy.

 

We can jig them, but I don't find running and gunning to be fun.

We can cast plastics into a feeding surface school, but that's not easy to find in 50' of water.

Snag and Drop with bunker is fun, but many days it's hard to find them tight enough to snag them.

 

Trolling let's us put out a spread, and cover a long area, miles sometimes, till we find them.  Find them on the troll, then maybe we'll jig.  Maybe.

 

Plugging is something we're more prone to do in the back along the sods, but most of my fishing is done out in the ocean.  I like just being out in the ocean, running the boat.

Edited by JoeyZac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

 

I miss the days of anchoring up in the white water, and chunking clam and bunker right into the wash.  But we haven't had that bite since Sandy.

 

We can jig them, but I don't find running and gunning to be fun.

We can cast plastics into a feeding surface school, but that's not easy to find in 50' of water.

Snag and Drop with bunker is fun, but many days it's hard to find them tight enough to snag them.

 

Trolling let's us put out a spread, and cover a long area, miles sometimes, till we find them.  Find them on the troll, then maybe we'll jig.  Maybe.

 

Plugging is something we're more prone to do in the back along the sods, but most of my fishing is done out in the ocean.  I like just being out in the ocean, running the boat.

Do what you gotta do, every troller I see is a general nuisance to everyone else not trolling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, bbfish said:

Do what you gotta do, every troller I see is a general nuisance to everyone else not trolling.

 

Well, I kind of did start off by saying that trolling close enough to someone else that you are actually "close" is a douche move.

 

Can I ask how you're normally fishing when you see others trolling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy multiple ways to catch fish. I did a lot of trolling last season and really enjoyed it. I jig plug and bait fish as well . 

D3674B53-2B62-4DAC-BB29-7800C109ED70.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe 8 or 9 years ago I got a 48 pounder, my biggest fish at the time, while trolling a plug on wire at Sow & Pigs reef. Unfortunately it didn’t feel like much of an accomplishment after I realized all I did was reel it in...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my trips I run up the beach looking for bait... well, that doesn't always happen and at some point you have to make the call to head off deeper and troll.

 

I will argue that it takes a heck of a lot more effort than just sitting back waiting for a fish.  Maybe it's just me but man do I feel like I have to work for a fish on days like that.  Every course adjustment the speed gets changed.  Every 5-10 minutes without a bite the wire gets let out or reeled in a few feet.  Tuning the spoon to swim right.  I also spent a very long learning process to figure out what works for MY Boat (every one reacts differently), different rod action...  you still have to be in the right spot, at the right time, present the lure correctly, at the right depth, at the right speed, etc.  Same as with any fishing...

 

Sure you can buy a wire line rod, let out 300', and drive around all day and catch fish.  But the difference comes on the slow days catching multiples versus just one by chance.

 

Note: I agree it is flat out rude to troll around other boats that are working on a school.  I've had it happen to me and it sucks, can't blame all trollers in general, just sometimes either people are ignorant or don't have respect for others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said Jersey Bros, There were some pretty bold statements made on this thread!  Like any type of fishing it requires a certain level of skill, time, and trial/error to really dial in. Of course it's nice to think every time you go out you are going to catch on live bait or artificials, but a lot of times trolling is the most productive method. Personally, I love watching a fish slam the rod on the troll, but that's just me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

 

Well, I kind of did start off by saying that trolling close enough to someone else that you are actually "close" is a douche move.

 

Can I ask how you're normally fishing when you see others trolling?

 

Plugging 95% of the time.

 

Instead of mojos I’m throwing 9” shads. Instead of stretch 25s I’ll use deep diving metal lips.  More often than not however I’m throwing topwater or shads.  Could probably leave the dock with nothing but a big spook and 7” shad most days and do pretty well.

 

My general nuisance today switched from trollers to party boats. Was in about 10 acres of birds with a couple boats here and there.  Had the Golden Eagle pull up on me no more than 20 feet away.  People were underhand throwing jigs past my boat. 

 

sorry if I was a little brisk last night...rough day.

Edited by bbfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I troll spoons and lures off a boat...I bait fish off a boat...I troll and cast to fish off my kayak...I surf fish, casting lures and bait...what difference does it make?  Each one takes a special skill set.

I keep few fish.

I am enjoying myself and nature. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, bbfish said:

Plugging 95% of the time.

 

Instead of mojos I’m throwing 9” shads. Instead of stretch 25s I’ll use deep diving metal lips.  More often than not however I’m throwing topwater or shads.  Could probably leave the dock with nothing but a big spook and 7” shad most days and do pretty well.

 

My general nuisance today switched from trollers to party boats. Was in about 10 acres of birds with a couple boats here and there.  Had the Golden Eagle pull up on me no more than 20 feet away.  People were underhand throwing jigs past my boat. 

 

sorry if I was a little brisk last night...rough day.

 

We don't seem to do that well throwing plugs or Shads unless we come across a school of fish feeding on the surface.  We just don't find see them that often, and usually if we do, there's 10 other boats on it in seconds, and it's just not worth the hassle.

 

We still troll Stretches, 9ers Umbrellas, Mojos, Spoons, and a homemade Shad rig that I guess is some kind of Umbrella.

 

I generally consider any boat pulling up within casting distance of you/me to be a complete nuisance and **** move.  20 feet is time to yell and scream.

 

But the way I deal with that nonsense is just trolling by myself, away from the crowds, finding some fish here and there, and I get to keep my sanity.

 

As for being brisk last night, hey, as long as you don't drive to my house and punch me in the side of the head, I can take it.  No harm, no foul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

 

We don't seem to do that well throwing plugs or Shads unless we come across a school of fish feeding on the surface.  We just don't find see them that often, and usually if we do, there's 10 other boats on it in seconds, and it's just not worth the hassle.

 

We still troll Stretches, 9ers Umbrellas, Mojos, Spoons, and a homemade Shad rig that I guess is some kind of Umbrella.

 

I generally consider any boat pulling up within casting distance of you/me to be a complete nuisance and **** move.  20 feet is time to yell and scream.

 

But the way I deal with that nonsense is just trolling by myself, away from the crowds, finding some fish here and there, and I get to keep my sanity.

 

As for being brisk last night, hey, as long as you don't drive to my house and punch me in the side of the head, I can take it.  No harm, no foul.

 

It takes a decent amount of work, lots and lots of casts.  Throwing big plugs takes some special equipment, we took the nod from musky guys and went from there. Set up on a good drift and get to work. Sometimes you wont mark em.  That’s when having some general knowledge of where fish “should” be comes into play.  My favorite days are smashing fish on giant metal lips when they’re not even showing themselves.  No birds, nothing to attract other boats, maybe just a boil now and then. 

 

It’s just working structure that likely holds fish: flats, lumps, channel edges, even bait schools can be considered structure.  If you can mark em, perfect, adjust your offering to their depth. Those single marks you see on the outside of bunker schools that aren’t actively pushing bait? Prime target for a big shad, big metal lip or topwater.

 

A lot of times fish are cruising surface-mid level in what we call wolf packs, just 5 or 6 fish that come in waves.  Pick off one and you can usually pull some of the others as they chase the hooked fish.

 

Most of my boat fishing is just what I learned surfcasting adapted to a center console. It’s the same pea brain sized fish whether is Beach or boat, offer em something that looks good and they’ll eat. 

 

The party boat that got WAAAAAY to close today wasn’t worth sticking around for. There were a million fish to choose from in a half mile radius. I’m positive a few of the anglers we’re trying to see how close they could cast to my hull. I just started the engine and gave a quick hole shot to 5000 rpm and buzzed the tower hopefully spooking anything in the general vicinity. I’m petty like that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JerseyBros said:

Most of my trips I run up the beach looking for bait... well, that doesn't always happen and at some point you have to make the call to head off deeper and troll.

 

I will argue that it takes a heck of a lot more effort than just sitting back waiting for a fish.  Maybe it's just me but man do I feel like I have to work for a fish on days like that.  Every course adjustment the speed gets changed.  Every 5-10 minutes without a bite the wire gets let out or reeled in a few feet.  Tuning the spoon to swim right.  I also spent a very long learning process to figure out what works for MY Boat (every one reacts differently), different rod action...  you still have to be in the right spot, at the right time, present the lure correctly, at the right depth, at the right speed, etc.  Same as with any fishing...

 

Sure you can buy a wire line rod, let out 300', and drive around all day and catch fish.  But the difference comes on the slow days catching multiples versus just one by chance.

 

Note: I agree it is flat out rude to troll around other boats that are working on a school.  I've had it happen to me and it sucks, can't blame all trollers in general, just sometimes either people are ignorant or don't have respect for others. 

Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing that.

 

People who say that trolling is easy never ran the boat.  Yes, it's easy to sit in a chair and be the 'winder."  But running the boat and the cockpit is something very different.

 

Given a choice, I'd much rather cast for my bass.  Second choice is jigging.  But when conditions are wrong for that, I'm more than happy to troll.  And when conditions dictate snag-and-drop---I go home and work in the yard.

 

Staying out of other people's way is just basic courtesy, and applies to whatever technique you use.  I've seen as many idiots plague other anglers engaging in run-and-gun topwater bites as I've seen trolling--probably more, and they do it at 40 kt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have fished a lot of ways over the years and I love to plug. There nothing like a fish chasing your plug and hitting it. But thats great when the fish are there hitting top water plugs.  If your in shallow water, you can fish up against the banks and pull some out of the marsh grass or the rocks.  Trolling is the best way to find fish and also to get down on the bottom. You will use a heavier rod, but you will get bigger fish.  I love to troll also. Like they said you have to control the boat.  It takes skill to know the speed and the depth that your at. About of wire or lead core to let out.  Making turns to get down deeper sometimes and watching out for lobster pots , Other boats lines ,rocks and and all other things   Live lining can get some big ones but, that can be a bore when the fish are not hitting. Thats what I call a lazy day of fishing.  Park the boat, setup the rods and watch the balloons . Wait and have a beer and lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of douche prizes to go around
- Pluggers casting lures on top of your lures
One moron cast into my line not once, not twice but three times! At the third time I told, him "Sorry, but I can't be quiet and polite about this anymore. Move to another spot and cast somewhere else."

- Bait anglers casting their bait on top of yours
Some millennial sidles up to my right then casts. But his casting is all wrong and it goes way to the left, OVER my line. I said, Dude, you cast over my line. He's like, naw I cast straight out. And I say, no, I saw your splash. And he's like, "In the dark?" And I said, yeah, in the dark (because he didn't see it!). So I wait until he baits again and sure enough he snags me reeling in. So I say, "I told you." He did it again and I called him on it. So he reeled up and moved away. Not the only time that happened.

- Anglers who keep quiet when they see you leave a fishing tool on the dock then quietly stick it in their pocket when your back is turned.
Thankfully this is the exception.

- Anglers who put out more than two poles to dominate twenty feet of casting space.

- Anglers who bring lanterns at night and keep them on.

TRACKER BOAT ANGLERS
Have you noticed that anglers in brand new Tracker boats are the most likely to motor too close to shore anglers? The worst part is that they're the least likely to apologize and most likely to give you lip when you call them on their idiot behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.