Lagerhead

Trolling for stripers

30 posts in this topic

Ok, if it's tough fishing, I can see it. Something to do while you're out there. Also, you have some physical issue that keeps you from casting or jigging.

When it's obvious that you can catch without trolling, why do it? Are you that lazy or dumb? Where is the fun in trolling for stripers? 1/2 the enjoyment is feeling the strike. 

Then this BS with trolling as close as you can to boats where people are actually fishing. That's a total sweetheart maneuver. You should be embarrassed. On Sunday, I saw a troller go between 2 boats drifting about 30 yards apart. That troller snagged a line from one of the other boats. Oh and the guy he snagged had a fish on his line. 

Had trollers running over each other's lines. That was entertaining.

Even when boats are few and far between I'll be fishing. Next boat is 400 yards away and lo and behold, here comes Mr sweetheart who has to troll by me at 20 yards. Lol

You invest all this money in boats and gas and mojos for trolling stripers. Are you ****ing demented? 

What the **** is wrong with you people? Try fishing sometime.

1 hour ago, Lagerhead said:

When it's obvious that you can catch without trolling, why do it? Are you that lazy or dumb? Where is the fun in trolling for stripers? 1/2 the enjoyment is feeling the strike. 

When you can pull in two stripers at once on a tandem mojo, or three on an umbrella rig, that's more "enjoyment" than just feeling a strike on a line.

Posted (edited)

I'm not a fan of dragging spoons. Why let it bother you so much if people are trolling. 

Edited by bass40

1 hour ago, Jay in the Bay said:

When you can pull in two stripers at once on a tandem mojo, or three on an umbrella rig, that's more "enjoyment" than just feeling a strike on a line.

Seriously?

Do you like winching the boat up on the trailer too? 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bass40 said:

I'm not a fan of dragging spoons. Why let it bother you so much if people are trolling. 

They troll next to people CASTING at fish. Total ash hole move.

Edited by Lagerhead

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

Seriously?

Do you like winching the boat up on the trailer too? 

It's about collecting meat. 

Posted (edited)

Trolling is not fishing. Real fisherman dont don’t do it.  if you can’t catch fish on the boat without trolling sell the boat pick up golfing. I know guys think this is bull but hey it’s reality. 

Edited by hydraman

Sweet. Ever tried trolling with a big giant net?  Bet that’s even more fun and challenging. 

If you’re trolling and not on a charter boat, I automatically assume you don’t know what you’re doing. 

I experience the same crap, idiots trolling just yards away, close enough to be cutting me off from casting. 

All this stuff you guys have to say about people trolling while you're "fishing," well that's what fly fisherman have to say about you.  You think you're some of artist casting to Stripers while the cavemen are fishing, but fly fisherman look at you like cavemen.

Trolling too close to someone else is a douche move, agreed, but the point of fishing is to go out there and "fish" in a manner that you enjoy.  If someone else doesn't get it, too damn bad for them.

Used to catch all my Stripers chunking clam and bunker in White water, now that was fun, but that ended.  Now, I get 90% of my Stripers trolling.  It's fun, almost feels like trolling for Tuna.  Mojos with mono is a lot of fun.

What I don't get is wire line and spoons.  No question it produces big fish, but man, it really is like winching your boat on the trailer.  I'd rather catch nothing on mono/Mojos than reel in a spoon with wire.

I miss these days............

5a0ba5336e19f_11-16-09Wave.jpg.e8b6cad453fb462745058fb9ef374bf4.jpg

7 hours ago, hydraman said:

Trolling is not fishing. Real fisherman dont don’t do it.  if you can’t catch fish on the boat without trolling sell the boat pick up golfing. I know guys think this is bull but hey it’s reality. 

Thank you for this brave post Mr. Lagerhead and Hydraman.   My striped bass fishing is done off the beach (and mostly at night). 

I own and run three boats.  They are important for transportation.  Sometimes I am obliged to take a nitwit fishing... you NEVER want to take a nitwit fishing on the beach.  Boat fishing a nitwit is a good way to limit the damage to your day. 

I would have to agree with whatever makes you happy go with it..Our intention is to get fish and whatever mechanism you use to get it done is on you..some cast,chunk,drift,float,skish,troll,spear,fly...ect...One thing I can't stand is them meatballs who get 10 feet from your boat when trolling by...Thats burns my ass...! I watched this one boat last summer run right into a boat at night not paying attention trolling...I thought someone was going to get killed that night..

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

All this stuff you guys have to say about people trolling while you're "fishing," well that's what fly fisherman have to say about you.  You think you're some of artist casting to Stripers while the cavemen are fishing, but fly fisherman look at you like cavemen.

Trolling too close to someone else is a douche move, agreed, but the point of fishing is to go out there and "fish" in a manner that you enjoy.  If someone else doesn't get it, too damn bad for them.

Used to catch all my Stripers chunking clam and bunker in White water, now that was fun, but that ended.  Now, I get 90% of my Stripers trolling.  It's fun, almost feels like trolling for Tuna.  Mojos with mono is a lot of fun.

What I don't get is wire line and spoons.  No question it produces big fish, but man, it really is like winching your boat on the trailer.  I'd rather catch nothing on mono/Mojos than reel in a spoon with wire.

I miss these days............

5a0ba5336e19f_11-16-09Wave.jpg.e8b6cad453fb462745058fb9ef374bf4.jpg

Why not actually fish for fish instead of burning gas and sitting on your ass?

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, bbfish said:

Why not actually fish for fish instead of burning gas and sitting on your ass?

In the picture above I am anchored.  Not burning any gas at all.

As for "actually fishing?"  What do you mean?

Jigging marks on the bottom?

Snag and dropping bunker?

Casting a soft bait into a school?

I catch more fish trolling than any other method, and that's what I'm out there for, is to catch fish, and have fun.

Edited by JoeyZac