afterhours

Sprint Scam Puzzler

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Someone use your card to buy them? Check.

Many retailers won't ship to any address other than the billing address of the card used to purchase the merchandise.

P.S. They may have opened a new card in your name. Check the credit reporting agencies.

Edited by Wayne Tj

27 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

Someone use your card to buy them? Check.

Many retailers won't ship to any address other than the billing address of the card used to purchase the merchandise.

P.S. They may have opened a new card in your name. Check the credit reporting agencies.

I did that and nothing came up. on hold with them again I gave them #'s they won't tell me anything unless I authorize account info - eff that.

28 mins ago, afterhours said:

I did that and nothing came up. on hold with them again I gave them #'s they won't tell me anything unless I authorize account info - eff that.

How can you authorize account info, if you never had one to start with...shit.gif.4fe11816ff0eac4b439533316f9f5423.gifshit.gif.4fe11816ff0eac4b439533316f9f5423.gifshit.gif.4fe11816ff0eac4b439533316f9f5423.gifshit.gif.4fe11816ff0eac4b439533316f9f5423.gif

Still not understanding how this could be a scam - unless it's a scam Sprint is trying to pull to get you to activate the devices and lock yourself, inadvertently, into a two or three year contract for devices and plans you never ordered :squid:

TimS

2 hours ago, rocco said:

i've heard of scammers having packages delivered to a stranger's address, where they are waiting nearby to pick something up left on someone's doorstep.

not sure how it works, but i think they are using stolen identities to place the order and someone else's address to receive the goods? 

or perhaps someone opened an account you don't know about using your personal info and where hoping to intercept the package before you got it?

This seems the most likely scenario.

It's probably the result of someone's stolen info (skimmer on ATM's or stolen credit card, etc...)

You can report it to the police, as long as you document that you did not request this package nor were you expecting it.

Was there any billing info in the package or on the billing slip? Most purchases that are shipped will contain a copy of the order placement and relative billing info.

It certainly smells like a scam, but not on you, but some other unlucky individual.

The scammer probably presumed your address was a safe delivery point where he/she could grab the package off your doorstop, only you beat them to it.

Keep us updated, please!

5 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

It certainly smells like a scam, but not on you, but some other unlucky individual.

The scammer probably presumed your address was a safe delivery point where he/she could grab the package off your doorstop, only you beat them to it.

Keep us updated, please!

Maybe, that address is vacant at this time as i'm selling it. I just got back from sprint corp store and they ran the #'s and said an account was opened in my name in oct. there were 2 pmts made but returned. They suspended account. I'm on hold now trying to return the phones...they are not making this easy, they keep passing the buck. Ready to say eff it and stick them in my attic or turn in to police.

19 hours ago, afterhours said:

Maybe, that address is vacant at this time as i'm selling it. I just got back from sprint corp store and they ran the #'s and said an account was opened in my name in oct. there were 2 pmts made but returned. They suspended account. I'm on hold now trying to return the phones...they are not making this easy, they keep passing the buck. Ready to say eff it and stick them in my attic or turn in to police.

If a account was opened in your name, where did they charge the merchandise to?

It's a sad world. Sounds like its time to get life-lock.

Lou 

Was an account opened in your name AND with correct address and billing info?

Or was it your name with bogus address and account info?

Some places allow them to open some accounts with just a valid name without a verified address to go with it (like using a vacant lot address)

On 11/14/2017 at 2:05 PM, TimS said:

Still not understanding how this could be a scam - unless it's a scam Sprint is trying to pull to get you to activate the devices and lock yourself, inadvertently, into a two or three year contract for devices and plans you never ordered :squid:

TimS

this would not shock me,being an ex-sprint customer.i would not go back if they gave me 5 phones and 3 tablets on the house.

Don,

Sorry to hear.

My recommendation would be to do what some have mentioned here in previous posts.

1st: Get a police report created ASAP. If someone opened account in your name, etc. this is now an identity theft crime.

2nd: Visit Sprint again with the police report and file a claim.

3rd: Put pressure on Sprint to advise how the account was opened. If in person, they should have date, time, and would most likely have requested ID from individual/s and have video footage from inside the store. If Sprint hasn't done so already, I'm sure they'll engage thier internal fraud department. If the account was opened online, push to have them investigate transaction and associated IP address which then can then trace to an individual / location, etc.

I don't work for Sprint but unfortunately have had to deal with issues like this in the past.

The police report shows them you mean business and aren't playing around.

I'd also put some sort of alert on your credit report via 1 of the credit agencies, think they last 60 or 90 days.

Best of luck getting to the bottom of this.

8 hours ago, layer8 said:

1st: Get a police report created ASAP. If someone opened account in your name, etc. this is now an identity theft crime.

I had someone purchase 2 @ $2,000 gift cards at Lowe's using my bank account information years ago - the same day that I provided my bank account information to my mortgage company to make a payment. It happened in South Carolina - the mortgage company I spoke with was also in South Carolina - I hadn't been there in years. Seems like an easy one, right? Someone at the mortgage company used the banking info I provided to make a payment to help themselves to four grand. The local police LET me report it - the mortgage company said none of their employees would ever do that...and the investigation was over, lol.  Lowes canceled the two cards and refunded the money - they provided the name and address of the person that ordered them - and the local police where I filed the report wouldn't LET  me press charges NOR would they give the name and address of the person who stole $4,000 from me because the money was returned by Lowes :squid:  On paper, you'd certainly think you have a right to press charges when someone at a mortgage company steals $4,000 from you - you'd think the mortgage company would want to know who was stealing banking information from their customers - you'd think the police would tell you who stole the money. Nope...nobody cared, I got Lowes to cancel the cards and refund my money - other than that, I got zero help from the police or the mortgage company. My point? What to thieves have to fear any more? They have learned they can do pretty much anything they want - worst case scenario is the money they stole gets taken back from them...big deal :rolleyes:

TimS

I bet if you mentioned to the police and the mortgage company that you "found out who the person was and would be taking matters into your own hands (without specifying what actions you would be taking) they would probably get interested, but only to the point that they would prevent you from doing THEIR JOB.

I'm a nice guy but can be VERY vindictive when someone screws with my livelihood!