afterhours

Sprint Scam Puzzler

28 posts in this topic

So out of the blue I received an unexpected UPS pkg. It was from sprint containing 2 smasung s8+ and a notepad all with assigned #'s. Only contact # on packing slip is a # to activate. I called sprint  ( what a major pia to talk to a live body ) and told them about this and asked what's up with this. gave them all #'s on packing slip account #, delivery #, etc. and they say they know nothing about this. Fast forward to yesterday and I received a voicemail from sprint saying this is a service alert for this account. Don't want to call the given # as it feels like shady. Checked cc cards and credit reports for any info - nothing suspicious. Doing nothing for the moment. Anyone hear of anything like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want the easy way out, Don, do this: 

  1. Take the package to your local police station. 
  2. File a police report, notifying them of a crime (i.e. the scam). The police may not want to get involved, but if you report it as a crime, they have to -- they can't refuse you if you say you're reporting a crime.  
  3. Leave the whole schmear -- the box, the phones, everything -- with the police as evidence. 
  4. Get a copy of the police report, and bring it with you when you leave. 

Keep this, with a log of when and how you contacted Sprint (time called, number called, name of person you spoke to, etc.), and keep it with your police report. 


And that's it. If and when some scammer tries to contact you about it, refer them to the cops. 

 

Either that or call UPS and refuse the package -- you can do this too. But I'd take it to the police, because then there's a paper trail that exonerates you, and the cops know about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno about the scam, but here is a tip:

 

IF you want to talk to a live person at Sprint, go through the menu and choose the option to close the account.  Not only will you get a live body immediately, but you will get an American that can actually make a decision and do something, not some Phillipino mutt speaking garbled English

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is strange- where does the scam come in?

 

I've heard that recently identity thieves have started going into physical phone stores (AT&T, Verizon, etc) & upgrade/add lines in your name and then walk out with new phones to sell on the black market at your expense.  If the phones were shipped to you I'm having a hard time seeing where a scammer makes his buck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

This is strange- where does the scam come in?

Agreed...not following....right now it appears someone anonymously sent you a generous gift :th:  ;)

 

When you called Sprint - did they tell you that the devices and numbers were registered in your name and on your account? :b:

 

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, afterhours said:

So out of the blue I received an unexpected UPS pkg. It was from sprint containing 2 smasung s8+ and a notepad all with assigned #'s. Only contact # on packing slip is a # to activate. I called sprint  ( what a major pia to talk to a live body ) and told them about this and asked what's up with this. gave them all #'s on packing slip account #, delivery #, etc. and they say they know nothing about this. Fast forward to yesterday and I received a voicemail from sprint saying this is a service alert for this account. Don't want to call the given # as it feels like shady. Checked cc cards and credit reports for any info - nothing suspicious. Doing nothing for the moment. Anyone hear of anything like this?

I will go out on a limb here, and take a wild stab in the dark. Tracking shows package was delivered, if devices are activated you bought it.

 

Was the service alert number a actual sprint number?

Was the sender on the UPS package actually Sprint?

Sprint service alert  for what account, your legit Sprint account?

 

Belmo, police station crime drop off sounds like a really good idea. I would not give them the activation numbers...:shaky:

 

I would switch your service over too T Mobile; you will probably  end up with a better rate, free phone. and use of your old number....:)

 

I have been getting calls from the electric utility company lately, they want me to call back with account information in hand. It would be great if they sent a generator....:laugh:

 

 

Edited by Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimS said:

Agreed...not following....right now it appears someone anonymously sent you a generous gift :th:  ;)

 

When you called Sprint - did they tell you that the devices and numbers were registered in your name and on your account? :b:

 

 

TimS

Funny thing is I've never had a sprint account and they couldn't find any info for an account in my name.

 

43 mins ago, mike3dr said:

Maybe they delivered to the wrong house?

Nope my name, my house

 

18 mins ago, Lou T said:

I will go out on a limb here, and take a wild stab in the dark. Tracking shows package was delivered, if devices are activated you bought it.

 

 

 

 

That's what i'm thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, afterhours said:

Funny thing is I've never had a sprint account and they couldn't find any info for an account in my name.

 

Now that is funny...:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've heard of scammers having packages delivered to a stranger's address, where they are waiting nearby to pick something up left on someone's doorstep.

 

not sure how it works, but i think they are using stolen identities to place the order and someone else's address to receive the goods? 

 

or perhaps someone opened an account you don't know about using your personal info and where hoping to intercept the package before you got it?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Belmo said:

If you want the easy way out, Don, do this: 

  1. Take the package to your local police station. 
  2. File a police report, notifying them of a crime (i.e. the scam). The police may not want to get involved, but if you report it as a crime, they have to -- they can't refuse you if you say you're reporting a crime.  
  3. Leave the whole schmear -- the box, the phones, everything -- with the police as evidence. 
  4. Get a copy of the police report, and bring it with you when you leave. 

Keep this, with a log of when and how you contacted Sprint (time called, number called, name of person you spoke to, etc.), and keep it with your police report. 


And that's it. If and when some scammer tries to contact you about it, refer them to the cops. 

 

Either that or call UPS and refuse the package -- you can do this too. But I'd take it to the police, because then there's a paper trail that exonerates you, and the cops know about it. 

If worse comes to worse I may do this, although I really don't have the time for all of this nonsense they caused me. I've got a shop to finish and plugs to build :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, afterhours said:

If worse comes to worse I may do this, although I really don't have the time for all of this nonsense they caused me. I've got a shop to finish and plugs to build :).

I hear ya -- but an hour of your time now may save you much more time down the road. :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or you can do the Philly shuffle: 

When you take the box to the police station, have two bars of soap, painted black, inside the boxes. And then sell the phones on the street. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.