albacized

Any here have a good season, but still feel some....

21 posts in this topic

Same for Long Island Surfcasting.  Anyone who says 2017 was good is living on Fantasy Island.

Posted (edited)

In this being my first season getting addicted to this sport I drove up to the canal before the epic bite arrived by myself to an area I had zero experience with. After a 5 hour ride I arrived at night when I couldn’t see a thing. Fished all night, slept in my car for an hour then fished all morning and made the drive home. Caught 1 fish at first light and would’ve loved to have gotten a picture of it. Great memory of going into uncharted territory and having no idea what to expect. Didn’t get the 10+ fish day but did get one and a lot of knowledge to go with it, regret not getting a picture though to look back on 

Edited by 914surf

Spring run was very good, some bass and big blues. So far  the fall run has been slow, small bass and medium blues. Still looking forward to the next 5-6 weeks for some larger fish. Maybe?

If every month fished like May i would be satisfied. But a bad flounder season and way less than spectacular fall (only 2 shorts in the past 4 weeks) has left me with that open void once again. 

The NJ fall has been so tough for sure. But this season... man I had the best overall year (granted I haven't been at it for too long)

1) First flounder of the year a nice 5lb 23incher if I remember correct

2) Slammed the gator blues hard this year, had multiple banner days on them

3) Hit FL and got into some new species (peacocks, bowfin, gar, bonefish, puffers, barracuda, boxfish, cichlids)

4) Took the trip to the CCC three times, and all three times had days of monsters on every cast - these were the most rewarding trips

5) Participated in the MV derby and caught my first bonito - twice haha and even placed in a Super Saturday

6) On a lark, drove up to see if I could hit the tail end of albies at the hook and scored 4 even having to deal with the battle fishing

7) Remaining hopeful about some sort of potential for a 'fall run' on the NJ coast that us sand guys can get into

No regrets here, just wish on some of the better days I didn't have to leave with fish biting...

One of the best seasons.    Was there for a lot of that late summer push.   Only regret is not being to fish every day during it.   Only other regret was I set out to catch a keeper on the fly rod from shore or boat and it didn’t happen.   Still no big complaints.