ByronPA

Ocracoke - 11/13 - 11/20

24 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why I insist on leaving home at 3 am during the height of the rut, but I seem to do it every year. Nope, there were no collisions, but way too many close calls, uhg. 

Despite the fact that I made the noon ferry, I didn't get to fish today. But I did get to do some scouting for tomorrow. Beth is with me, so I will not be doing my normal daylight to dark fishing days, but I'll still be able to get out plenty.

I greatly prefer fishing the two hours on either side of high tide. Unfortunately, this week is full of afternoon high tides, when most of my fishing will be happening during the early morning to early afternoon...  

But regardless, there will be regular reports following........

I learned a long time ago not to complain about catching fish, even if they're not the particular ones you want to catch. I fished from 6 am until about 2:30. I couldn't find any Drum and didn't see anyone else hook up. But there was a steady bite throughout the day of small stuff, mostly caught on shrimp: Small Blues. Black Drum, Flounder, Mullet, Puffers and a bunch of small trout. 

FILE0003.JPG

FILE0005.JPG

13 hours ago, ByronPA said:

I learned a long time ago not to complain about catching fish, even if they're not the particular ones you want to catch.

T R U T H ! ! ! ! ! !

Well, 3:30 am came dark, cold and windy. Other than the sky getting slightly brighter, nothing much changed throughout the day. I might as well of slept in, because my first sign of ocean life didn't happen until right around daybreak. But once it started, it stayed heavy through the day.

A steady mix of smaller black drum, trout, mullet and itty bity blues, along with three nice pups.

Around 1:00 pm, some birds started working the surface out front, the flock was slowly getting bigger and closer. I don't care where you are, if you're a surf fisherman, diving birds get you excited. And I was itching for them to get into casting range, just to see what they were.

It turns out they were just small Blues, in the 10 - 14 inch range. But for an hour, I had a blast catching those little Blues on just about every cast.

And the best part of that little blue blitz, was that I had it all to myself..

005.JPG

008.JPG

002.JPG

Good stuff Byron and thanks for the reports. Might be heading down for my final trip this weekend. Will keep an eye out for ya if I make it down:hooked:

I'm heading down to the village on Saturday, I plan to fish Sunday morning right after I get my permit. I will be there for the week. Black Tahoe. You will tell my truck from the stickers on the back window. Lol. Maybe we can get a few casts together.

Awesome! Keep the reports coming... I'm heading down to OBX next week for Thanksgiving. Wasn't expecting much, but this at least gives me some hope!

Saturday will be my last day here, and not sure how much fishing I'll do on Sturday, supposed to be crazy windy. Eric, will send you a PM. 

High tide was at 5 this morning and I wanted to to fish the incoming, so I got an early start. As soon as I walked out of my room, I knew it was going to be a challenging day. All I could see up in the sky were stars, not a cloud to be seen. Cold wind from the North West. 

The first two hours of fishing resulted in nothing from a hole that I had a lot of faith in. Shortly before daybreak I made a move to a very small hole where I thought I might be able to catch a trout or two. The plan was to fan cast the hole with a MirrOLure M52. 
The very first cast produced a 20" Trout, pictured below. And then, nothing, followed by more nothing. Someone had turned the switch off.

The morning and afternoon were slow, a small black drum here, a little blue there, but it was tough.

And then two hours before high tide, around 3:30, someone turned the switch back on. For the next hour there was a steady bite of Black Drum, some very large Mullet and two keeper sized flounder. And then the micro blues moved in en mass, little 4 - 6" demons instantly picking away any bait as soon as it hit the water.     

I fished until dark with nothing more than the little blues....A fourteen hour day on the beach with not much to show for it. 

I'm very lucky that I have a woman who understads and appreciates my addiction, but tomorrow she wants to do some tourist stuff. It'll be a short day of fishing, 3 - 4 around daybreak, we'll see what we can make happen. 

ocracoke 2 001.JPG

ocracoke 2 003.JPG

3 hours ago, ByronPA said:

I'm very lucky that I have a woman who understads and appreciates my addiction, but tomorrow she wants to do some tourist stuff.

Amen brotha....but a very small price to pay. Balance is key....Keep on keeping on...:th: