Fewer trout stocked this year?

Rate this topic

isleomaniac

They have not stocked browns in the fall in the SE district the last two years. Pretty sure they had previous years but not certain. Does seem there are fewer fish this fall but I also attribute the slow fishing to the warm temperatures. The ponds haven't turned over yet and it seems to get better from shore once that happens.

There may have been issues regarding available stock due to issues at the fisheries where they buy their fish from, since they don't raise their own fish anymore (or if they do it's so limited that they HAVE to buy from out-of-state).

In any case, if they are stocking fewer and fewer fish year after year, shouldn't they be reflected in the licensing?

I understand that out license fees are used in more than one capacity, but a fishing license is only used for fishing, and if they are not fulfilling their implied obligation to stock our waters as we were led to believe, shouldn't their be some sort of restitution/recourse for us?

Personally, I've come to care less about trout, since the state no longer seem to care about fish reproduction and focus only on a "put and take" fishery.

I have been fortunate enough to find some naturally reproducing brook trout, but they waters where I found them have been so overfished that even the stocked trout don't last a month before they all get fished out.

Thankfully they haven't gotten involved with any other fresh water fish species.

Note - Striped bass and cod are their own category.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Found a midge hatch yesterday, about 35 trout were blitzing from 10-2:30 and  still going on when I left.  I went through 6 different flies and had the best luck on a number 18 all white subsurface fly.  Caught 10 rainbows, and 2 browns.  Most of the bows were smaller than previous years at 12-inches.

Worm Hatch Inspector.

1 hour ago, isleomaniac said:

Found a midge hatch yesterday, about 35 trout were blitzing from 10-2:30 and  still going on when I left.  I went through 6 different flies and had the best luck on a number 18 all white subsurface fly.  Caught 10 rainbows, and 2 browns.  Most of the bows were smaller than previous years at 12-inches.

The spring stocking seemed to put huge numbers into the ponds, in the southeast anyways. I haven't had much success in the Fall, although this can probably be attributed to me getting a late start on fishing for trout. Haven't seen this type of midge hatch yet at any of the ponds I frequent.  

(*member formerly known as 'wmitchell1')

I had way more numbers and quality trout in the spring compared to this fall. This could also be due to better quality trout and more variety rather than just rainbows in the fall. I was fishing mostly cape cod trout ponds and was catching way more than I did in the couple times I have gone targeting trout this fall. 

On 11/12/2017 at 7:09 PM, JEFFSOD said:

They have not stocked browns in the fall in the SE district the last two years. Pretty sure they had previous years but not certain. Does seem there are fewer fish this fall but I also attribute the slow fishing to the warm temperatures. The ponds haven't turned over yet and it seems to get better from shore once that happens.

no browns?? why?? i caught one down in plymouth last week at midnight on a small topwater wake bait

Not to complain, I do like rainbows and to this day, in my old age, I still like to lay on the bank getting rays while my nightcrawler soaks. Same as I did as a young buck with all the time in the world. 

Also a great way to put on a sure fresh fish fry. In season, they're reliable enough to plan a meal, invite the guests, THEN go out a grab a quick limit. 

I never ever keep em for the freezer, but to eat the same night, sure.

18 hours ago, golden said:

I heard they stocked browns in the chu but it is not reported

They tend to be quiet about chu stockings. Although that LL stocking a yr or two ago was widely reported by tackle shops and some of the fishing regulars.

Pfantum Pfishah