I had a year to remember

Rate this topic

hotfishgirl

I need to update my cod photo, it makes me look like a bloated pollack.

I've dropped over 25 pounds since I got myself off prednisone when I realized I was misdiagnosed with RA, and started taking vitamin C for scurvy, which caused my joint pain and edema.

Now I look like a balding turkey.

On that day a few years ago, HotFishGirl and I both caught monster cunners nonstop for over an hour while anchored on top of Martin's Ledge or 3-1/2 fathom ledge, my memory is fading, but I did lose an anchor wedged in the steep rocks below.

We had at least three which would have been new state records, and figured we could come back and repeat it at any time.

Anytime you go over steep drop offs outside Boston Light, you will spot large fish near the rocky ledges on your fish finder, which I always thought were stripers, but are actually monster cunners.

They are out there everywhere, just tip a heavy jig with squid or in my case smaller jigs with a heavy sinker - they hit immediately.

I'm going out for my last hurrah tomorrow, primarily to pull my remaining traps, but there is not enough time in the day to play with cunners, I'm hoping to catch a nice cod for dinner.

20 hours ago, BaddJack said:

I can recall fishing for flounder and cod on the wooden pier on the west side of Castle Island in the 50's with my father before the sugar bowl existed. The pier was destroyed by a hurricane shortly thereafter.

Bad Jack I wrote a few articles fishing castle island during those years and they were published in the New England Fishermen The Sugar bowl was always present, before the inside water was blocked off by rip rap. It was at the end of the covered bridge that was destroyed in the hurricane of 1938. It was decided to remove it and put in a road and then they enclosed the whole thing to keep the sand sharks out of the beach area. If you fished the old pier in front of the fort then you should recall the 5 rod holders on the end , that came away from where the shack once stood. If you recall we also caught silvers and smelt along with pollock during that time frame . My white Van with the Fish'n Fool sign was often parked in the lot or even right at the beginning of the pier under some situations during the dead of winter when hardly any one was around.  WE often did are best flounder fishing on the inside in the spring . What was your fathers name?

Edited by Angler #1
The present pier that is made from cement is the second one at that location The original wood pier was removed in order to place the first one at that location

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

On 11/12/2017 at 9:56 AM, Angler #1 said:

Bad Jack I wrote a few articles fishing castle island during those years and they were published in the New England Fishermen The Sugar bowl was always present, before the inside water was blocked off by rip rap. It was at the end of the covered bridge that was destroyed in the hurricane of 1938. It was decided to remove it and put in a road and then they enclosed the whole thing to keep the sand sharks out of the beach area. If you fished the old pier in front of the fort then you should recall the 5 rod holders on the end , that came away from where the shack once stood. If you recall we also caught silvers and smelt along with pollock during that time frame . My white Van with the Fish'n Fool sign was often parked in the lot or even right at the beginning of the pier under some situations during the dead of winter when hardly any one was around.  WE often did are best flounder fishing on the inside in the spring . What was your fathers name?

My father's name is Stanley Clark, formerly Cichowicz, I was 1-1/2 when the family name was changed in 1953.

Most people called him Chick.

We originally lived on Cawfield St. in a triple decker in Dorchester, and moved to a single family by Ashmont Station, which was convenient since he was a trackless trolley driver and ultimately a bus driver for the MTA.

He moved to Braintree in 1976 and was hijacked by my sister to Florida a few years ago, away from all of his kids and grandchildren.

12 hours ago, BaddJack said:

My father's name is Stanley Clark, formerly Cichowicz, I was 1-1/2 when the family name was changed in 1953.

Most people called him Chick.

We originally lived on Cawfield St. in a triple decker in Dorchester, and moved to a single family by Ashmont Station, which was convenient since he was a trackless trolley driver and ultimately a bus driver for the MTA.

He moved to Braintree in 1976 and was hijacked by my sister to Florida a few years ago, away from all of his kids and grandchildren.

I can not recall the name, however I do recall some one that lived close to Ashmont Station as MY brother owned a home on that street. Your father was Polish and a big man ? Did he ever also fish the tanks for bass ? Smelt in Milton?

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

Polish Lithuanian - ex navy

5'-9"

maybe smelt fishing, never heard of any bass fishing - was always from shore until his brother built a 14 foot wooden boat in our basement, then it was always flounder fishing around Moon Island, Long Island and Spectacle Island, towed it with a '61 white caddy and launched from the Malibu rocky beach into Dorchester Bay