Christmas Family Custom Rod Auction  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How Should I Do This?

• Build it on Spec
    • Build a true custom for whoever bids for it
    • Let a competent builder do it instead

1 min ago, makomakoman said:

I hope you buy the rod, Terry and he makes a nice crosswrap for you.. :laugh:

you know rod building like ambition knows about work!!!!    

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

3 mins ago, makomakoman said:

Have you built your son a rod, yet?

don't get all uppity custom rod questioning with me fella. I got your number and will be keeping an eye on you. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

maybe billy can make it and charge the winner $800.00 for the labor. :howdy:

1 hour ago, Aquacide said:

build it on spec - that way the bidders can see what they are getting. and that's what Mike told me to do for my flyes.

There a couple of issues with this. 

The biggie is that spec customs are just not as good: you're building it for an unknown angler, who's going to be using an unknown reel, holding unknown line, etc. You do not get an optimum setup when you're building it to accommodate a wide range of possible end uses. 

Moreover, when this rod will be delivered -- i.e. December -- fishing is over for just about everybody around here. Why not wait another month, and get, for the same amount of money, a rod that is designed to your needs to a tee? 

Here's one very small, but noteworthy, example, of the level of detail I put into these rods: I ask how the guy holds his spinning reel, whether he's like most guys, and holds the rod with the reel stem between his index and middle fingers; or whether he's like my friend Pervert Pete, who holds the reel between his ring finger and pinky. This doesn't make really any difference in terms of fishing -- but the reel seat should be oriented differently for each of these two configurations (downlocking for Regular Joe; uplocking for Pervert Pete. You want to set up the rod so that when you hold it in a fishing position, your fingers do not touch the reel seat nut -- if your fingers rest against it, you can loosen the nut over time, especially during a long fishing session. Putting the nut away from yer fingers eliminates that possibility). 

If we were closer to fishing season, I'd say screw it, and build it on spec. And I might do that anyway. But I think it would be neat to give someone a real custom experience, especially if it's a guy who wouldn't or couldn't normally spring for a custom rod. 

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

And, for the record, I'm an excellent custom rod builder, at least in terms of performance. I don't do decorative wraps -- I have never had the time to dive into that end of the pool -- but I do know how to wrap rods for performance, especially surf rods. 

I'M AN EXCELLENT DRIVER! 

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

5 mins ago, Belmo said:

There a couple of issues with this. 

The biggie is that spec customs are just not as good: you're building it for an unknown angler, who's going to be using an unknown reel, holding unknown line, etc. You do not get an optimum setup when you're building it to accommodate a wide range of possible end uses. 

Moreover, when this rod will be delivered -- i.e. December -- fishing is over for just about everybody around here. Why not wait another month, and get, for the same amount of money, a rod that is designed to your needs to a tee? 

Here's one very small, but noteworthy, example, of the level of detail I put into these rods: I ask how the guy holds his spinning reel, whether he's like most guys, and holds the rod with the reel stem between his index and middle fingers; or whether he's like my friend Pervert Pete, who holds the reel between his ring finger and pinky. This doesn't make really any difference in terms of fishing -- but the reel seat should be oriented differently for each of these two configurations (downlocking for Regular Joe; uplocking for Pervert Pete. You want to set up the rod so that when you hold it in a fishing position, your fingers do not touch the reel seat nut -- if your fingers rest against it, you can loosen the nut over time, especially during a long fishing session. Putting the nut away from yer fingers eliminates that possibility). 

If we were closer to fishing season, I'd say screw it, and build it on spec. And I might do that anyway. But I think it would be neat to give someone a real custom experience, especially if it's a guy who wouldn't or couldn't normally spring for a custom rod. 

I agree. but you might also get someone who doesn't know what they want.

its very generous of you.

your friend is either weird or has very strong pinkies.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

• Belmo locked and unlocked this topic