First-ever Breachway Fishing Yesterday!

Rate this topic

Southcoastphil

5 hours ago, albacized said:

Btw, I wonder if there was any chance I ran into you yesterday at a certain popular breachway, half way across south county. I was only there for about an hour or so, was skunked for the first 45 min or so, then caught three little rat schoolies in succession. I threw the third fish back and immediately left, with the thought that if I have to play with little fish like that, I'd rather find a place where I could use a fly rod and actually enjoy it...so I headed up towards Narragansett area, didn't find any more bass, but did find a slew of shad...which at that point was ok

But anyway, as I was leaving (already back in the parking lot), I briefly spoke to someone who mentioned the winds in similar terms as you did in another thread (perhaps the albie thread in the MA forum????). If you recall speaking to someone with a St Croix Tidemaster/Shimano Stradic 5000FK who mentioned that he was good with just the three fish, that was me....LOL

Sorry that we did not meet, for I have enjoyed meeting many SOL folks in the last two years, many of whom have become very good friends.

On a related note (and for the first time ever!), someone walked up to me and asked, "Are you Southcoastphil?"

To say that I was surprised would be an extreme understatement.

Turns out that it was an SOLr with whom I've communicated for several years on the forum!  He'd traveled several hundred miles to fish in RI, and I was there on only my third time in RI.

Small world.  (If you're reading this, it was a pleasure to finally meet you in person.)

If its not raining and not very cold, I'm often wearing a white SpiderWire cap.  If it is cold, I'm usually wearing a black watch cap with a gray ring inside a red red ring.  In the rain I often wear a dark green Goretex Seattle Sombrero.

If you see me, please stop and say hi!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Just now, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Anybody having luck using teasers?

While I didn't see anyone using teasers this past weekend, there was a couple of guys using teasers at one of the SoCo breachways, sometimes catching doubles  as well as sometimes a bass and hickory shad at the same time. On the flip side, I don't think the teasers were increasing their catch rate...just helped add hickory shad to their catch

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

The bass didnt hit teasers yesterday among the few guys using them near where I was at. I was surprised. My only guess is the water visibilty was just poor enough  (it wasnt awful.. but def not gin clear) to make detecting the fly more difficult. I didn't see anyone catch shad either.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

On 11/21/2017 at 6:34 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

If I get down that way this week, I'll have teasers on.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher