Pliers discussion

Rate this topic

Zerotide

i have been using a pair of anglers choice SS needle nose pliers for almost 15 years now,a little rusty but they still work nicely to remove hooks from a fishs mouth.they cost 8.95 when i brought them. no one is going to convince me that any other pair of pliers will do a better job of removing a hook from a fish mouth.regardless of cost.if you have the means to buy a 300 dollar pliers and are something you like by all means buy them,but don't try and justify there purchase

4 hours ago, Ellar said:

I found a couple of troubling reviews on Amazon regarding the Van Staal pliers. Both posted pictures of misaligned jaws. Has anybody here seen anything like that? Maybe the ones on Amazon are counterfeit?

When I first got mine, they were a hair off. Everything worked fine though, so I never cared. Eventually they just worked themselves straight. 

8 hours ago, Ellar said:

I found a couple of troubling reviews on Amazon regarding the Van Staal pliers. Both posted pictures of misaligned jaws. Has anybody here seen anything like that? Maybe the ones on Amazon are counterfeit?

I picked up a Shimano Saragosa recently because I'm not ready to plunk down Van Staal money on a reel yet and I'm not cranking underwater. Is there a Shimano Saragosa of pliers?

I got a pair of 7" VS through Tackle Direct that turned out to be a bit misaligned. Didn't even notice it first couple times I used them, then one day I did. I'm sure they would've been (and were to that point) fine, but something about paying that much for something where perhaps one might expect a higher level of fit and finish. Anyway, I contacted Kraig @ TD who asked me to send a few photos, who then contacted Craig @ VS who determined that I was entitled to a replacement pair (which of course they personally QC'd before shipping). Sent the original pair back and received a new pair that were pretty close to perfect. Re: Amazon counterfeit; who knows? Suffice it to say that the genuine article at least occasionally experiences a blip.

Been using Dr. Slick Barracudas for over 15 year - just a tiny bit of rust on them.  No cutting hooks with them though but great for toothy critters.  I think I bought fro under $10 way back.

Also have a pair of Manley's pliers - rusted of course but still keep them smothered in oil for when I may need them in a "hook' emergency.