Magic on the Water

Here is another of my bi-weekly installment of kayak fishing in western LI Sound...4 kayaks ( Roger, Lee, Rashid and me), Thursday,  6.30am...nice and brisk morning...first we went to chase some blitzes in the bay ...got several shorts and nice fat 27" bass which came as a double with 20"...thought it was a keeper for sure...and then we all scattered around to go to our tog fishing spots...the forecast for yesterday had shown 5mph wind with gusting to 8 whereas we encountered at least 10-15mph from north-east in the morning  which caused large swells...you had to work hard to keep in position...with the wind and temps in mid 40F it was kind of chilly at times...wind slowed down in the afternoon and at the end we caught over 10  keepers among 4 of use with numerous shorts...good day on the water...we shall see what happens after this big freeze today and tomorrow

PC-Photo Nov 09, 4 01 17 PM.jpg

PC-Photo Nov 09, 6 49 10 AM.jpg

PC-Photo Nov 09, 6 53 54 AM (1).jpg

Location - LI Sound....Sunday 6am until 3pm...30F in the morning and mid 40 in afternoon...water was like a glass in the morning until 10 mph south wind started around 2pm...4 kayaks...early bass blitz that lasted about an hour ...got one 28.5" keeper with over 10 shorts...then went to try some black-fishing...the usual spots did no work and we found some new ones closed to the deep water...I guess the big freeze pushed the fish deeper...we had a blast for several hours...for the first time caught 4 keepers from the kayak between 17" to 19" together with numerous shorts that were on larger size...Roger had a 24"+/- 11 lbs tog caught and released...and we all had nice time socializing...btw, early morning photo not best due to some clouds, sorry

PC-Photo Nov 12, 6 51 04 AM.jpg

PC-Photo Nov 12, 3 45 40 PM.jpg

The group of 4 kayaks ( Roger, Lee and Rashid)  made it out yesterday ( Wednesday) to search for bass and tog in west Long Island Sound...nice morning in low 30F...mid 40ies later on...6.30am to 3pm ...bass was scattered in the bay with several flocks of birds working ...not too much action ...got one 20" bass on the troll...the black fishing was much more challenging...north-east wind was close to 10 knots ( the forecast was 5 knots) ...it was a tough work to fish for tog due to large swells and constant wind in your face...wind made it feel much chillier ...in any event, ended up with two keepers ( both about 16.5") and over a dozen of nice size shorts ( nothing smaller than 12")...no photos this time

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Fished that island this morning. Five decent bass plus one keeper,  some beach glass and a new plug while beachcombing.

1116171335.jpg

1116171336a.jpg

Where is the photo of the plug?....I have lost one there ...maybe is mine ( yellowish golden yo-zuri mag darter)...;)...good job...was that on Wednesday or earlier?

Didn't see any blitzes today, just a few rising bass in the shallows. I've always caught there around the hightide, trolling and plugging the rocky N and NE shorelines. 

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Went out with a buddy yesterday Saturday,  first light,  schoolies breaking on the way out  on nuts. made it out for no bites. came in at 11 when wind started. Hope the fish aren't gone!?

IMG_0768.JPG

Edited by kenjan

1 hour ago, kenjan said:

Went out with a buddy yesterday Saturday,  first light,  schoolies breaking on the way out  on nuts. made it out for no bites. came in at 11 when wind started. Hope the fish aren't gone!?

Plenty of fish still coming your way,  non stop all day yesterday in my neck of the woods, mostly little guys but there are some better fish In  the mix.....Ive shifted my efforts 30 miles west of where i had em the previous week..

Plenty of gannets working on the big bait in the area as well, not masses of em but they're out there,  i havent been able to get the right conditions to get out there on that bite yet but I'm watching it

Stay tuned.......

Edited by BillZ

Not really a "magic on the water" shot, more like "fool on the water " but this is from yesterday,  i launched in the early AM but when the window closed i beached it & grabbed the surf stick. .........

well into the rough conditions, this guy just appeared in the surf line,  no gloves, no pfd & wearing street clothes, nothing more. 

He  beached it for 20 minutes then launched it again going back in the Direction he came from, he had a rod but never fished, he was  obviously too busy trying to keep from being swamped............

i marked 46 deg. Water temp......

20171118_095230.thumb.jpg.aa48d8fb81066343be8f42d67d74c42a.jpg20171118_095020.thumb.jpg.0173562b45fff72d1d26c762d47b1517.jpg20171118_094958.thumb.jpg.894b5af9dea140dddc92aa8c4317b846.jpg

20171118_095004.jpg

Edited by BillZ