Sealing container options

Rate this topic

striperswiper06437

On 11/2/2017 at 5:52 PM, glider said:

Glass spaghetti jar with lid works. lonellr, a lot of Europeans use propionate plastic pellets or similar dissolved in acetone to seal mainly balsa lures ,using multiple dips also builds up a hard smooth shell for painting. It can also be used to seal other wood types.....glider

That process seems amazing! Any dangers? Fumes and such? I would love to try it on white pine, oak, and spanish cedar. Especially the woods where the grain always shows. Thank you Glider!

-Lonell

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

Hi Lonellr, regarding safety/noxious fumes - acetone fumes are definitely dangerous ,so good ventilation is advised. Various plastics can be disolved in acetone and used for sealing wood, you can use multiple dips to hide grain like you say, personaly I use it as a quick sealer to allow me to ballance  each glider individually in water. I do wonder if any other dodgy fumes are released from the dissolving plastic, I know a friend of mine has asked to be warned if im using it before visiting because he felt dizzy and sick when he happened to be present during a batch being made, I suspect the acetone was the issue. I have also felt iffy when using it and now when using it I do a batch in a room with window wide open, then close door tight and leave it to dry ......glider